Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Oscar is now almost one and until recently hasn't been a barky dog and has never growled at anyone.

Our trainer always told us that we should make him aware that he doesn't need to protect us (in particular me) and this would help him realise that people in the street or at the door aren't a threat. And if they are, we will protect him rather than the other way round.

However, over the last couple of weeks, on 3 or 4 occasions Oscar has barked at people coming towards us - something he has never done before. And this morning the doorbell rang and before I could get to it, I heard him barking and growling at the shape through the door.

As soon as I said 'no' he stopped, and whenever he gets to the people he is always as soft as anything (much to their relief :) ).

Do you think that this is something I need to try and stop (and if so how?), or is he just trying out new things (as he did when he first found his woof when he was a puppy)?

Thanks

Sarah x

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi sarah :)

tuesday night i bought a choccy lab and the owner said she has never barked (she is 8months) well since bringing her home she has found her bark..lol..i think playing with my 6yr old lab has helped her along a lot..lol..

anyway i think its good your dog is barking at the door not only does it warn ppl he is there but it also lets you know someone is there or there is something there that your dog feels is a threat..he is doing what comes naturally guarding his family like you would guard him..
as for barking at ppl in the street maybe not such a good idea...but if he stops barking when you say no then thats good praise him when you see ppl heading towards him and if he doesnt bark give him loads of praise hugs kisses (well maybe not in the stret..lol..you may get strange looks) lil treat if no barking in street..

brandy barks at ppl walking past our garden but its like one woof as if to say oi this is my garden..but if they enter the garden she is fine with them (only if she can see me that is)
hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Sarah,now that oscar has found his bark i would get a "beware of the dog"sign for your front door, you really dont want anyone to get a nasty shock when they come to the door, and if he's anything like dylan he will frighten the whole street,personnally i have never made too much of a fuss when they bark at the door as i am on my own when ian is away so i feel safer.rightly or wrongly we all do things our own way.Lynne.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
have to agree with you lynne. i live alone and its quite a comfort to know that max will let me know when some one is around. i used to have a lot of probs with kids climbing over my fence and using the garden as a short cut. all that has stopped since max arrived as if they dont see him they hear him. he allways gives a couple of good barks when someone comes to the door but stops as soon as i tell him good boy. mind you if he doesnt know the person he will sit behind me grumbling and muttering :lol: very good for getting rid of door to door sales men :D so far he hasnt barked at any one when we are out but has raised his back a few times when he's not too sure of some one.

janeand max

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Jane hope you dont mind a pm but i cant believe someone is agreeing with me about not too much fuss with barking,sometimes i feel ancient as i dont do everything to THE BOOK and like to do it my way,Take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi ,

I do agree with you lynne, but when i had a german shepherd who barked alot and hated men we put a beware of the dog sign up and the police man who lived up our road told us to take it down as i was admiting our dog was dangerous! 8O Also if my dog bit anyone for coming on to my property they could sue me ( needless to say i took it down grumply) :( . The law may have changed by now but just be careful.

Cristina & Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts