Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Flushed with the success of the 20 minute moan in the crate on night one, Harry had his crate available all day and popped in and out for a play/sleep/general sniff and search for stuff to chew. So took him out for a wee and put him in at bedtime whereupon he managed to cry/bark on and off for (I almost didn't admit this but if I want advice I have to be honest) two hours. We felt awful - is that really too long to leave him? He did let up for the odd 10 mins but basically it was two hours.

I came down at about 7 this morning (he didn't go to sleep until about 1) and he was sat up waiting for me and was very pleased to see me. Now my worry is poo. He had obviously pooed and weed in his crate so should I actually have gone down during his crying to check and change him and then leave him again? I didn't as I figured this would result in him overall crying longer. His crate is large so there was plenty of space away from his poo for him to sleep.

Please don't shoot me down if you think I've been really mean to him - I've been told so many times to leave him if he cries but just wonder if that was too long.

G

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
We wouldn`t shoot you down Gwinny, we`ve all been there and the general advice here is to let them cry.

You say he quietened occassionally, thats the time to nip down and let him out, plus set the alarm for in the night, let him out to do his stuff with the minimum of fuss and then back to bed for both of you.

As for the neighbours, have a chat with them, aplogise if Harry kept them awake and explain he`s very young and hopefully the crying at night won`t go on for long.

Haved you tried putting a old t shirt in with him?, sometimes the scent can help them to settle :)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
we put an old t shirt in Jacks crate with him when he was a pup too, he also had a soft toy the breeder gave us which he slept with!.

I remember reading that dogs do not like to mess in their crates.

we spoke to our neighbours who said they never heard Jack on the first night but they were either being polite or real heavy sleepers!.

Good luck with your new puppy and dont forget lots of photos please!

Tracey
x

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Sydney pup has been home for just over a week and after the first few nights of crying we now dont hear a peep! On the first day i took the cute puppy bundle around to my fantastic neighbours for cuddles and warned them about the possibility of noise and asked that they let me know if it was really bad as i could move his crate into the living room on the other side of the house as my neighbour on that side is quite deaf.

Sydney screamed for 1 hour 30 minutes on the first night - like Harry he would stop for a short while and I would be holding my breath thinking is that it, and then he would start again :? It was heart breaking but i ignored him and had set my alarm to get up at 3:30am to let him out, then popped him straight back into his crate.

The crying gradually reduced over a few nights and his crate has been clean every night and he alwasy has a wee when i let him out during the night - although the last few nights he has very reluctantly headed outside :)

It really is worth sticking to your guns and letting him cry, he will learn that it doesnt bring attention and that you always come back so there is no need to cry.

Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight x

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to see neighbours and they were lovely. One side I knew would be fine as we know them better, and also they're not attached to us! But the other side we don't know well. Anyway, they claimed not to have even heard them though did say one of their dogs (they have a westie and a shitzu (sp??!)) was up a couple of times in the night so maybe it was only audible to doggy ears!

Fingers crossed for tonight.

G

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I did exactly the same thing the first few nights - ignored him completely only to go down in the middle of the night (when he was asleep) to find him, and the crate covered and smeared in poo. He was only crying when he needed to go :roll:

After 3 nights he went in without a wimper and I still used to go down at about 3/4am and wake him up to put him out - if I caught him when he was half asleep he'd go out, go, and be back in the crate asleep within about 3 mins!

I took him round under my arm when I went to grovel to the neighbours - they SO couldn't resist! But said they'd not heard anything anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts