Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry not for Neo but Bramble - Setter so has pretty featherings...

I really do have to bite the bullet and get some proper grooming equipment I have been muttering about it for months - but up till now I have made do with my kitchen scissors...

So please could someone give me a recommendation (by PM if you think that appropriate) for where to get the equipment and what to get

I reckon i need a detangling comb, grooming scissors - what length? - and some nail clippers - thats for the both of them as since we came to Brentwood they are not doing the same amount of walking on the pavement and for the first time they ahve looong nails....poor loves they look neglected!!!!

Anything else I need, I was debating thinning scissors but as I really don;t have a clue where I should use them or how maybe its best to leave those... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many thanks

Eve

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Well Eve I know my Norfolk Terrier friend uses these people and I have bought a few things from them including nail clippers.

Luckily for us they are on our doorstep and have rather a nice shop to spend your pennies in as you browse 8O :roll: . They also sell online though here you go:-

http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jill - just off for a browse!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

G

·
Eve...Nooooooo Don't set about Bramble with thinning scissors 8O . I've got a pair and they are nasty buggers, taking chunks out if you are not careful and leaving a horrid ragged look.

I found a lovely comb at a dog show. It has rolling teeth so it glides through any knots much easier, especially in Poods fluffy ears. I see that site sells my all time favourite nail clippers too (I'm tempted to get a second pair, just in case anything happens to mine).

As for scissors, don't get a hugely long pair, just an ordinary hairdressing pair will do. I've bought them in Boots before, in fact I think I might have got the last pair in Tescos :? . You only need short, light and sharp.....and you don't need to pay a lot either. :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jules - I was a tad concerned that thinning scissors may be a step too far in my grooming antics!!! :lol: :lol:

Love the sound of your comb - we have horrible ears at the mo - 'cos he runs through the bushes and gets covered in burs which are just impossible to get out without removing loads of hair - and Bramble thinking he is the Christmas Turkey being plucked early!!!!!!

I think Boots may get a get a visit in the morrow as well....

Ta for that! Never thought about human scissors.... if you see what I mean!!! :lol:

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I have Micki nail clippers, Cindy`s grow more quickly that CJ`s, I find the ones that form a circle are the best, they just go round the nail and give a cleaner cut than the secatur type.

Do be careful when clipping nails though its easy to take too much off and they bleed like h*ll, speaking from experience here :D , hopefully with Bramble and Neo they`ll have light nails being light dogs, although thats not the case with Cindy her nails are darker than CJ`s!

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Jill and JUles and Mary!!!

I am now the proud owner of a pair of nail clippers, a pair of Boots hairdressing scissors (soooo MUCH better than kitchen scissors!!!) and a human hairbrush....

I have also discovered that I have apparently lost ALL my other grooming equipment - no combs, no furminator 8O 8O (how WILL I cope???!!) no nothing...it must all be storage (finges crossed - that or lost..) :evil: :evil: :evil:

So this afternoon we had a session - nails slightly trimmed, still need a bit off but I thought best to start gently....

Bramble has had a brush with his new brush which is infinitely superior to the dog brush that I had bought him at VAST expense - and this one was only £3.50 - it's managed to remove all the little matts and knots in his hair without causing pain or protest - AND its also removed all those nasty little burrs which had got compltely entangled in his long hair and which were proving impossible to remove by hand without hurting Bramble...which of course wasn't on...

I won;t say we look perfectly groomed - we don't, but he certainly looks better than he did before, although the ears look more like a bad graph or a mountain range than perfectly coiffuered ears!!!!!!

Many thanks once again -

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear you have the "tools" now to manage your boys, especially Bramble, he does have that fine hair that can hurt so much when pulled, I do the same as you with Cindy`s nails, take a small amount off, then do them a bit more after a few days, this apparently encourages the quick to withdraw up the nail a bit :)

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that tip Mary - the nails are still a bit long...but at least we didn;t have any bloody experiences!! :lol: :lol: Caught Neo a couple of times though - he winced though there was no blood so not quite sure what I did...but it can;t have been that bad as he let me carry on....

And poor Brambles ears - talk about hacked - he wasn;t for letting me attack him with scissors - though he was more than happy to lie there on his back enjoying being brushed!!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

1 - 9 of 9 Posts