Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

does anyone have any suggestions about what the best grooming tool is for labs. Max is currently shedding his coat for the first time. We have been using a normal double sided puppy brush on him but have found that he really seems to hate it (even tho he has been groomed weekly since we got him- he is now 5 months 2 weeks). A friend suggested that the standard brush is probably uncomfortable for him as he has a short coat. I was just wondering with so many different products available what everyone else uses and would recommend.

I have been looking at the Kong zoom groom which is only £4.99 and apparently is easy to remove the hair from... has anyone else used one of these?

Thanks in advance... jen

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Jen

I have a Kong Zoom Groom and it is quite good - gets the hair nicely and is easy to clean.

However, I have the problem that I can't get Smudge to stay still while I'm brushing him! He keeps turning around and trying to grab the brush!

I have also heard positive things about grooming mitts but have not tried one yet.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check out this:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/grooming.html

When I went looking for a Zoom Groom a few years ago the clerk at the feed store took me to the tack room and showed me a horse brush that looked a lot like a Zoom Groom that cost a quarter of the price of a Zoom Groom. It works fine.

HTH

G

·
Hi Jen

Having just finished my dog grooming course today with Diploma in hand! I can say from my training that a simple slicker brush will be fine for grooming a lab. Even though they appear to be a bit harsh they are cushioned and spring back into the brush as you use them and are very good for the excessive 'saddle bags' for the excess fur. Extra care should be taken with dogs with skin conditions such as ezcema and excessive brushing on sensitive areas should be kept to a minimum. To put a lovely shine on your lab I would recommend buying a chamis leather and something called velvet coat which I'm sure is available at Pets @ home it's a spray and if you use a small amount of this and then buff up the coat with the chamis your lab will have a lovely shiny coat and also smell very nice until an available cow pat comes into view!

Have fun

Michaela

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi...

I use a normal double sided brush.... actually i use two brushes..one i use for grooming and the other for frodo to chew...This is the only way i get to do his hair :p without any disturbance...but i brush him EVERYDAY he sheds a lot :( despite all this effort my house is still covered with his hair... My vet says it normal but i somehow feel its some deficiency.. i'm planning to try some holistic products as they dun have side effects...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,
I use a grooming glove and to finish her off and get her coat gleaming I use an old pair of tights. Just put your hand in a leg and stroke her and you'll see the dead skin/oil come off. Its easy to move your hand to a clean bit and very quick and easy to wash. Do it in private tho', it looks a bit odd.

Rosie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to [email protected] yesterday and bought something very similar to a zoom groom for £4. I used it as soon as we got home and couldn't believe how much hair it removed! (luckily I was outside) It was also very easy to remove the hair from... but unfortunately max was equally impressed and took it upon himself to grab the 'scrubber' and run around the garden with it... which marked the end of that grroming session...lol!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts