Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,
OK, not strictly lab-related, but I am fostering him through LRRSE so it's got a tenious link to labs!!! :)

I'm fostering the most lovely old chap!! He's a Golden Retriever called Rupert and he is a ginormous big cuddly teddybear. We love him to pieces!! But I'll blabber on more about him in an adoption thread later on.

For now though, I have a big problem and I could really do with a hand. He came to me in pretty poor condition, and his coat is really badly matted. Everything is stuck together like sheeps wool, and whenever I brush him huge wads of hair come out in the brush - it's like he has 4 years of undercoat moult that is all stuck together, and one little tug of my brush and it all comes out.

I don't want to leave the poor fella bald, but he certainly needs some help in the hair-do department!!

So, what's the best plan of attack with a dog with such badly matted hair? Do I slather on my most expensive designer hair conditioner and keep on brushing? Or do I need to be using a special comb which will protect the healthy hair and only take the dead stuff? I've been using a rake brush, I don't want to use the Furminator on him yet in case it hurts him.

So, anybody here a dog groomer who can offer some advice & wisdom, or better yet, a free hairdo for my darling Rupert???

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I think if its really badly matted (and it sounds like it is) the best thing to do would be to cut it out, I know Goldies arent usually stripped but it sounds like it would be best for this lad, make him feel a lot better and it will grow back and can then be cared for properly :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Mary, the trustees at LRRSE have already mentioned that as a possibility for him, but I am resisting at the moment...

I once fostered a BC who the rescue had done that to, and her coat never grew back the way it should be. It ruined her coat, and I don't want to do that to him!

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
He sounds like a lovely gent. I use a fairly big slicker brush for Zorro. Brush him all the way through with that and then use a wide-tooth comb to get right down to the skin. I do it kind of like how I used to brush my dolls' hair when it got matted, grab a handful and start at the ends working my way down towards the skin with each stroke. Goldie's coats do seem to get thicker and woollier with age - I've noticed it with Zorro's. I only trim Zorro's tail (The fur should come out a thumbs length at the end and then nice and curved to the bum!) and tidy his feet (except he is very ticklish so that doesn't work too well!)

Ted gets a woolly, matted undercoat if I'm not careful. If he does then I cut out any matts (sort of cutting into them) and then slicker then comb.

I love brushing Zorro- it's very calming and far more rewarding than brushing a Lab (who look identical in the 'before and after' photos!)

And now I think we need some photos of Rupert!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ive seen pics of Rupert and he is lovely. Im sure once his coat is sorted he will be even better.

The poor lad has some health issues to sort out as well but we are working on getting those sorted out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi,

I had an old Goldie come into my parlour. He was 14yrs and had never had a bath at a parlour before. His fur was as you describe.

Before he went in the bath, I blasted him with a high velocity dryer. I could have done with some goggles and a mouth mask the fur was spraying out of him that much.

I then used a zoom groom on him which again got rid of a lot of fur.

Then once bathed I blasted him again and he was gorgeous.

Obviously without seeing Ruperts coat I can't say If you would have the same results if you took him to a parlour, but if you could it would be nice to save his coat.

Good luck,

Becca

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi sorry just to add, I wouldn't have described the goldies fur I did as matted. It was just highly compacted with undercoat.

Do you know when you stroke your dogs fur up the wrong way and you see the lighter colour of their undercoat, well his fur was like that only you couldn't really see any of his top coat cause it was that cotton wolly and thick.

If you could show a pic it might help me advice. Sorry I don't want to make it sound easy, when it may not be as you've obviously already tried several methods with him.

If I was closer I would have given him a free pampering session.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Becca, I appreciate the tips!
I think we're making progress!!!
I've done about 8 hours ( 8O 8O 8O ) of grooming on him in the past 5 days, and I am proud to say that his head, neck, chest, shoulders, back, and legs are now "normal-looking" for a Goldie!! Yay!!!!

I still have a ways to go with his rump and tail, but 90% of him is now done and he looks soooooo much better for it. He honestly looked like a sheep before with all his woolley undercoat, and now he looks like a dog!

After I've had a go at his rump & tail I think I will follow your advice Becca, and re-wash him again, that will probably loosen up a load more coat, and also I'll actually be able to wash the hair which is staying this time, instead of washing all the stuff I was about to pull out of his coat :)

Tell you what, if it were springtime there'd be a lot of happy birds building Goldie-fur-lined nests :) I've got about 6 shopping bags of hair off him so far :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts