Labradors Forums banner

Grapes

4K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  frodosmom 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if any of you has had experience of their Lab eating grapes?

On Saturday affternoon, Harvey got his paws on some I had thrown away (not that many).

Then yesterday morning he started to get the runs. He has been acting normal and eating normally. Everything is fine except when he goes to the toilet.

Ive been looking at Dangerous Food for Dogs and have frightened myself to death!

I phoned my vet this morning and he advised to give him chicken and rice for a few days?

I'm just worried he might have done some lasting damage, or am I just worrying too much?

Thanks

Fay

#3 ·
Hi Julie,

Thats the problem - I'm not sure, it wasnt a whole bunch and he hadnt had them all. Rich caught him in the act!

The vet said he should start to improve if I feed him the chicken and rice.

Im just going home now to see him, so I'll let you know how he is :)

Fay

#4 ·
Hi Fay...

I can imagine what you went thru after reading the effect of grapes.... BUT trust me eating a handful does not harm....I guess Harvey just cud not digest the grapes.... I did read somewhere that a small slice of fruits will not harm our labbies.... Hope harvey's system get back to normal and i know someone whoz gonna think twice before buying grapes :)

Take care
Vidhya

#5 ·
Hi Fay,

It sounds like they have upset him stomach and hopefully with the plain diet over the next couple of days, he should be back to his usual self very soon.

Big hug to Harvey..and don't you worry, if he hasn't been sick or had any other signs i'm sure he will be fine.

P.s well done for ringing your vet for advice all the same. :wink:

Take care

Julie

#7 ·
Hi Julie and Vidhya :)

I think you're both right and it just upset his tummy.

When I went home lunchtime he hadnt done anything on the kitchen floor and nothing either when I took him for a walk. So I guess it just took 24 hours for him to get them out of his system.

You're right Vidhya - it's definitely put me off grapes :)

It's like having babies again - Had to get a piece of bubble gum someone had thrown, out of his mouth earlier!!!

Fay

#8 ·
Corbie has had the runs for a couple of days also - have had to let him out a couple of times during the night! I think the cause was him drinking the water from a rock pool which meant it was probably a bit stagnent. After a diet of scrambled eggs, boiled rice the poops are improving. :D He is perfectly normal in himself and after trying to poop at 5am he then wanted to play with his tennis ball in the garden - little rascal.

Hope Harvey gets better soon. :)

#11 ·
Hi fay...Glad to see Harvey's doing good :) feels to good to see them recover such joy.....

Karen i wud love to see pic of corbie with rice stuck on his nose.... i can imagine soooo cute.....

Hey guys i noticed nothing like dog food to make their poos HARD....If somehow he cud get them to eat that even hand feed.....

Lovely Day
Vidhya + Frodo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.