Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all

Just looking for a place to rant and rave. Have got a serious case of doggy blues at the moment...really beginning to wonder what on earth possessed me etc.

Started quite nicely with walk and play in the park. Holly and children well behaved (for once at same time). All hell breaks loose when we get home. Holly snatches daughters fairy wings off her. When i step in , she will not let go despitse offer off squeaky toy instead and being told Off! Just continues ripping wings to bits. When i take hold off collar to help me get them out off her mouth, she twisted onto her back with my hand still in collar and preceded to try and bite me. Not little play nips, but a real get off my collar snapping.

In the end i had to get son to fetch lead .. id only just taken it off her for walk so i could attach it to her and put her outside for time out. Darent leave her in the room in mood she was in but couldnt get her to feet. She didnt take kindly to lead and didnt calm down until she was outside where she barked at me a bit then calmed down.

I made kids lunch and she seemd to be calmer. Only to find when my back turned she whipped sandwich out of my sons hand . He was sat at table. So promptly told no and back outside again.

This seems to be a pattern at the mo. Everythinggoing well then... Wham! We've had to start keeping trailing lead on her in house as the snapping when you touch her in these moods has got so bad! At other timws she's a real sweetie but this snapping is really getting to me!!

Sorry guys to be such a moaning minnie (wow.. havent used that expression in years) but i needed a place to let off steam and hubbys had an earful already. I know ive just got to persevere with her and try and stay calm. Not as easy as it sounds though :(

Heres hoping for a better afternoon

A scratched and grumpy Shelley

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi shelley oh dear sounds like you having a rough time of it...

how old is holly now??

when she bites and i man bites not the play nips have you thought of tapping her quickly on the nose i know you shouldnt hit a dog but this is a short quick tap maybe it will stop her??? does holly go to training classes?? if so ask them for advice on the snapping

feed your children before holly..and make sure holly is not in the same room as the children eating
even better when you are feeding holly take her food away then give it back this is showing her YOU are boss and not holly if she snaps ignore her and dont give her the food till she has calmed down..when you come home from walks all of you into the house first leave holly outside then when you are ready let her in she thinks she rules the roost at the moment i think for now im afraid holly will have to do everything last or until you say she can do it..as this snapping has to stop ..

it will all hopefully settle down eventually i know its hard with the kids as i have 4 myself and i have to teach the kids not to run with the dogs as they would just jump up and knock them over or playfully nip...

my husband play fights with rosze so now she thinks its is ok to bite adults as soon as they come in she has done this to me on a few occasions i look her straight in the eye and shout NO then tell her to go away which she sulks off to do luckily..lol. but hubby will not listen on the playfighting so i have to tell her no.. the poor thing must be confused..lol..

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Shelley

It's really hard work sometimes but don't give in Shelley your doing a great job with Holly and you will get there in the end, it's just the bad days that make you think you never will.

Keep us posted

Kev

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know if this might help but our trainer uses a water spray on the dog's nose/face if they bark or snap. It takes them by surprise!

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Shelley,

I just saw every day and oportunity as a learning curve !

I took advantage of every situation to teach / demonstrate, remind her of her position in the pack.
Just normal day to day things but just made sure she had her chance when it was her turn, and not before.
Does take a while but done this way it lasts for life....or in my case till Bailey her brother comes over 8O

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Shelley

Hang on in there, I know what you are going through I have 2 children and a puppy and I must admit the play biting (although it does not always feel like he is playing :( ) can get to you - wait till she is lying down later and all sleepy and soft, give her a cuddle and all will be forgotten :)

Tomorrow is another day - and in the meantime a large glass of wine will do wonders!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah
x

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your encouragements. Sorry to appear so miserable on posts (and yes the glass of wine has helped, Sarah) My poor hubby has had his ear chewed off lately with stressful phone calls from me during the day, so im afraid i vented frustrations on here instead :? Sorry!

Rest of day has been up and down. Ive really been trying to be extra consistent with calling the shots and there has been some response. Ive made her wait for dinner etc. putting it on the floor and saying off for a few seconds, and im sure neighbours will think i have some weird superiority complex going on as they have probably heard me refusing to let Holly in door before me!! Thanks for the tips and advice.

Our trainer agrees that this is more than just play biting, and as you said Clairiscrazy, that she is trying to sort out the pecking order. She does feel that it can be sorted easily but as you say Kev on the bad days it doesnt feel like it.

Well...think i'll go and chill out with another wee drop of the chilled stuff.. tomorrow is another day :)

Best wishes all

Shelley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts