Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Baymax gobbles his dry kibble as he still was haunted by the phantoms of his 8 sis and bros :)

Until now it was cute but now that the single feed is nearing 100 grams he gets hiccups so I think I should resort to tricks to slowing him down.

What I'm worrying is that the bowls I find on Amazon are almost all invariably made of hard plastic and reading the comments some owners complain that the hardness has chipped or otherwise ruined some of their dog's teeth.

If that's true are there models you would suggest that would slow down the vacuum labrador but also not damage his mouth?

Are there specific models for pups (B is 3 months now)?

Thanks in advance for sharing

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
If you have an enclosed grassy area, try throwing his kibble a handful at a time for him to search out. I do this regularly, weather permitting, and it’s a good stimulation and helps me with hand signal training as I scatter it over a wide area.

The other thing you could do is add water, so the kibble swims in it. I’d imagine it gets hotter when you are than i am in the south of France (on spanish border) and it’s a way of ensuring he stays hydrated.

Reactions: rjalex

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting suggestion :) Thank you.
Just a warning on the second one. I've corresponded with the makers of my pup's kibbles and they warned me NOT to wet them since it makes some of the vitamins go away very quickly.

MANY I remember crisscrossing the Pyrenees with wife, car, camping and my kites. We moved from France (Argeles-sur-mer) to Spain and back, including traversing Andorra just to see up to the Basque coast. Aside from Andorra I found the places soooo beautiful, just as I love them with no crowds, and breathtaking views, great food and kind people. Hope to travel like that sooner than later, this time with a Lab added to the family

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I don’t soak them, I just pour water immediately before serving. Always have done. Had labradors for 30 years. They kibble isn’t actually in the water long enough to degrade, it’s in their tummy within minutes. 🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts

Reactions: rjalex

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
I've never bothered about the speed my dogs eat. I've always adopted the attitude, "You eat how you want to and I'll eat how I want to." He's very young yet and will slow down in his own good time left to his own. The trouble with trying to slow him down is that his desire to eat fast is never satisfied so will continue for all time, just instead of competing with his litter mates he is then competing with a slow feeder. Hiccups are quite normal for a growing puppy.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you , as usual, for your wisdom. Will stop worrying and leave him to his vacuuming inclinations :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts