Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old black lab Nola has gone off her food (again)
She has always been a slow fussy eater not at all like a normal Labrador at all!
She doesn't get many treats during the day, she occasionally gets a rawhide chewing stick, also a couple of shapes fist thing in the morning and last thing at night.
I am currently feeding her 2x200g meals of Millie's Wolfheart hunter mix which up until 2 days ago she was eating very well and not leaving anything in her bowl. I have had to mix pedigree meat in with the food from the word go as she wouldn't eat dry kibble on its own.
I have had to change her food before when she wasn't eating she was on Millie's Wolfheart riverside mix, changed her to hunter mix and she ate again.

Now she eats a little of the hunter mix and then walks away from it...
What do I do? Keep changing food?
Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Don't keep changing as not necessary and will cost you a fortune in wastage! I would cut the treats out, rawhide chews are horrid anyway, so she is really hungry.

Have you taken her to the vets to check all ok? She may be coming into season as this can make them go off their food.

I would say she is either a very fussy dog, which will be made worse keep chopping and changing her food, or she is feeling under the weather. So either stick to your guns with your food and only offer that or make sure she is well in all other respects. The only time mine have ever refused their food is when unwell.

Hope this helps.

Chloe

·
Registered
755 Posts
One of my friends dogs is similar, and in two years he's had more diet changes that I can count. Changing each time is no way forward though because where will it end? One day you'll have run out of new things to try, and all the while the dog is learning that if they turn their nose up, they get something new or better!

The first thing you can do is try soaking the kibble in warm water. Apparently, food served at "blood" temperature is more appealing, presumably because it mimics the wild dog in nature tucking into some warm prey.

You have to be sure there is no underlying medical reason, but the standard textbook advice for a fussy eater is to take a no-nonsense approach. Put the food bowl down and what's left gets taken away after 30 minutes. No happy, healthy dog will choose to willingly starve themselves and she should catch on it's Take It or Lose It!

Perhaps you could try those two things for a week and see where it takes you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I wouldn't keep changing food,I would try adding a little water to the Millies as it will make a lovely gravy.
Are you still adding wet food to it? Millies is a great food and will have everything she needs so adding wet is not necessary.

Do you have the right feeding amounts of Millies? Hunter is very concentrated and I find with the more concentrated ones,the less I need to feed.

I would also cut out the treats and try the tough love approach for a couple of days unless you think she is doing it because she is unwell.

I know it might sound silly but is she going off food because she is getting too much? Unusual for a lab I know but my mums dogs stop eating if she gives them a bit too much food.

·
Administrator
20,911 Posts
A thought for you. It could be she's not hungry. Bearing in mind I'm not feeding the same food as you, my Chloe, also 7 months old is getting a total of 300g (150G a meal) and one Bonio at mid day. So only about 3/4 of what you are feeding. Manufacturers are notorious for over egging the amount of food needed. (In the old days Colman's Mustard were at least honest about it. They once said, "We don't grow rich from the mustard you eat, we grow rich from the mustard you leave on the side of your plate!")

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
A thought for you. It could be she's not hungry. Bearing in mind I'm not feeding the same food as you, my Chloe, also 7 months old is getting a total of 300g (150G a meal) and one Bonio at mid day. So only about 3/4 of what you are feeding. Manufacturers are notorious for over egging the amount of food needed. (In the old days Colman's Mustard were at least honest about it. They once said, "We don't grow rich from the mustard you eat, we grow rich from the mustard you leave on the side of your plate!")

Regards, John

Absolutely agree about her not being hungry,I feed Millies although a different variety and find I feed way less than the feeding guide. Anymore just causes Cola to have the runs!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry I got sidetracked with Chloe!! I would stop all her treats and stop changing her food, she will eat when hungry! Unless of course she does need a check with a vet

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
How much does she weigh? My two are on MWH and only have 190g (Coco 23kg) and 270g (Griffin 25kg) and I am still weighing it out every day because I can't believe how little they get in their bowls. You could try ringing the people at MWH to check feeding amounts.

Warm water to make gravy might help or try lifting the food after 5 minutes and not offering anything else until the next meal time. Most dogs don't stay hungry for too long.

Also, do you think she might be coming into season? Some bitches can go off their food for a few days then.

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
Luna stopped eating at a few periods of time between 6-12months.
With hindsight I was massively over-feeding her and she was at least 5 kg overweight so was trying to tell me she didn't need food!

How are her poops? If they are soft/sloppy the majority of the time this could indicate that she is getting rid of food she doesn't need so try cutting back the amount you are feeding and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Juice was born on 14th of January 😀 so is a similar age to Lola. I haven't had problems with food, I have kept to the same brand that she was weaned onto and now she has 2 x 150gms per day plus carrots in her Kong and bits of human food. She is 21kg and looks perfect 😀 . When I was little if I didn't eat my food my sister would eat it!!!! We had to eat what was on the table or starve!!!

Juice became "a Lady" last weekend and came into season 😀 maybe Lola will soon do likewise???

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: paws
1 - 11 of 11 Posts