Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

My 2 x dogs are now 4 months and 8 months old.

The youngest one candy is not doing too bad, she is off the lead and resonable on recall, i let her off as soon as she was allowed out, she walks lovely at heel continually looks up at me, i give her lots of praise everytime she does that.

I train her for about 10-15 minutes per day, making it as much fun as i can.

Missy is abit of a different story and i know its all my own fault, i did not let her off for ages, but then after letting her off the lead worked with her and her recall was brilliant even making her stop half way to get another dog.

Then she started to ignore me and basically said on your bike, even tried raising the treat , liver , chicken , cheese, nothing worked.

Well ive had to put her back on the lead, i feel terrible as i have failed her, but know i have to do it in fear of her running off .

Im about to buy a long web lead, there is one 10 metres long, now i do not know if to buy one of them or the extra strong retractable leads to save getting tied up.

As im back to basics and she is 8 months old really worried i wont ever be able to let her off the lead, as she ignored me a few times whether she has got it into her mind to run off every time i use to let her off.

My other thought was if i can get the younger one candy to be 100 percent on recall if i could utilise her to bring candy back.

But in the same token i dont missy to teach candy bad habits.

I am walking them seperatly, so one cannot influence the other

has anyone got any suggestions please. feel a total failure as i have really let missy down, she's lost her freedom for a while due to me.

thanks as always

all the best

gary

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hi Gary, sounds like Missy is going through the perfectly normal adolescence stage (which Candy will too) where all training goes straight out of the window and you have to start again from scratch. This is the main reason I am wating until Ruby is through the adolescence stage before I get a second pup.

It is simply a case of starting the training again, take her somewhere enclosed and work on her recall with lots of praise / treats or perhaps get yourself a long-line training lead. I have bought a whistle and have started training Ruby to return to this which is working a treat :wink:

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much! Going backwards in training is perfectly normal for a lot of dogs. You must be resilient and perservere - consistency is the key at this time.

It's good that you walk and train the pups separately, but what you mustn't do is compare them - it is likely they are very different in terms of learning style and learning speed. Go back to the basics where you have to and keep the training positive and up-beat (easier said than done I know :wink: but you will reep the rewwards later on).

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

G

·
Our Ruby has hit 8 months and is just the same, but she varies day-to-day. One day she'll do everything she's told and be the perfect little companion, the next it's like she's somehow been taken over by a Devil-Dog, and won't listen to a word I say. I've been reassured that it's hormones and she's just being a teenager, and that eventually I'll get my good Ruby back again! :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself :wink:

Cadbury is being a pain with his recall again. It has been an ongoing battle. I didn't let him off when he was a little pup (mistake 1) then when I did I had not practiced his recall at home much (mistake 2) and panicked and chased him when he didn't come back (mistake 3).

So invested in a long line and lots of practice and his recall really improved. But then he had an incident with a terrier and this seems to have thrown him again. Also I started to panic again when he was off lead and when I panic my voice goes all squeaky (probably not a problem for you :wink:). So Cadbury fell back into bad habits again.

Now I have got him out on a long line again. I was very disappointed on Fri, when we tried it for the first time, and he didn't come back when I called once. So I had to reel him in with the line. Yesterday we did 10 recalls during our walk, 4 he returned to. Noticeably, the better ones came at the end of the session when he twigged that ignoring me only ended up with him being reeled in and being made to walk nicely beside me on a short lead for a time before being allowed freedom again.

I am determined to crack this and yes you can have a reliable recall with Missy. I did get to that point with Cadbury, but I let it slip because of the terrier incident and because I started to panic when he was off lead. I let him get away with ignoring me instead of putting him back on that long line straight away and practicing.

Good luck Gary, I'm certain you can get this sorted :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Both my boys are now 8 months, I think its true what everyone is saying, they are going through the adolescence stage. My boys are very good on recalls off the lead, but just recently they have started to have the odd bad day, when they just dont want to listen, more so when they have seen another dog in their sights, they suddenly go deaf!!!!

They are also trying to push their luck more so in the house 2, i think its just the stage they are going through. Seeing what and what they wont get away with :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind responses, im pleased it is a normal stage in there lives, seems a shame having to go all the way back, but know thats what i must do.

Have seen the long lines on the internet. but saw some webbing type retractable leads, to save getting tangled up didnt know if i could use one of them instead,

So when using a long line, i would then allow missy to go some distance then recall her, if she doesnt come on the first command i basically then pull her in,back to me, would i then give her a treat or would i be rewarding the bad behaiviour

Thanks so much

all the best

gary

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Don't panic!!!!

As others have said she will return back to everything you've learned in a while!!!

Luna was horrendous at around 8 months and we did a lot of lead walking practice because she was horrendous recalling off lead!! She's 15months now and is completely reliable again (as reliable as she was anyway!!!).

I only let Luna off in 'safe' areas during her rebellious spell and always made it an exciting play time - 2 toys because then if she became disobedient with one toy loose in the play area I could attract her attention with the other.

We tried both a 10m long line and a retractable lead. I personally preferred the long line because although it was very inconvenient at times I found it easier to control Luna on and always knew when she was getting to the end of the leash whereas the retractable lead control buttons confused me and Luna would frequently run to the end of it and get a great big shock because she'd reached the end. The retractable lead is always tense too which I didn't like because I was trying to encourage her to prefer a loose lead feeling to her collar. Of course if she was having a good day I'd drop the long line and leave it to drag around behind knowing that it was within range of my foot jumping on it if need be!

If you have to bring her in because she refuses to recall I wouldn't reward the recall but would ask her to do a sit, stay, down ....... and reward these before giving a 'go off and do your own thing again' release command. Go back to very simple commands and reward them like it is the first time she's ever done them!!!! Ignore the adult size of her and pretend she's teeny tiny again in terms of training.

Your good little girl will return! Just grit your teeth for a while!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
So when using a long line, i would then allow missy to go some distance then recall her, if she doesnt come on the first command i basically then pull her in,back to me, would i then give her a treat or would i be rewarding the bad behaiviour
I was told to stagger the rewards depending on the response to the recall.

A poor recall which has meant you have had to reel her in = pat on the head, verbal praise, and then she must walk nicely beside you for a little while before being allowed the length of the line again. (I use 'off you go' to release Cadbury after he has been walking beside me).

A mediocre recall, (ie. she came back, but dawdled a bit, stopped halfway, etc, but you didn't have to reel her in). = Verbal praise and food reward, and then walking nicely on a short lead beside you for a while.

A perfect recall, meaning an instant response where she comes straight back, no dawdling = the JACKPOT, praise, food reward, and instantly allowed to go straight off and run around again.

The idea is to teach the dog coming back quickly results in more freedom. Not coming back means having to go on the lead.

It will take time and she is at an age when she will push her luck all the time, but be patient and consistent and you will get there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

what length of lead do you think would be suitable

is 5 metres about 15 feet ok, didnt want to get one thats 10 metres due to controling it, but will be advised by you

thanks

gary

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I would definitely get a "long" webbing line rather than the retractable leads - I'd be wary of using a retractable lead for this (and for many things).

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I would go shorter first, then gradually increase the distance as she gets better.

I am currently using two halti leads securely clipped together because my long line is snapped, that works out about 12ft (I think). I'm going to go for something longer when Cadbury has improved.

Remember the longer the line the more force of the impact when she runs forward and hits the end!

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Why not try only letting the dogs off lead one at a time? 2 unreliable dogs are only going to egg each other on and will soon learn to ignore you. If you have one close to you on a lead, the other is more likely to return. If they don't then make a huge (noisy!) fuss of the one that's on the lead and the loose one will probably come back just to see what they're missing out of.

I'm a bit of a cow sometimes with mine if they ignore a recall or a slow in coming back - I show them the treat that they would have got and then put it back in my pocket! :wink:

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the great advice

at the moment am fighting getting her to walk to heel, missy that is, candy the 4 month old walks to heel lovely, keeps looking up at me, i praise her everytime she does that.

Missy though at the moment is driving me insane, on a walk she will never look at me, even calling her name, or a treat etc.

I have kept her on a long lead 6 foot at the moment, as i just cannot let her off, as she will do a 300 yard dash to reach another dog, then i have to go and get her, once i get her put her back on the lead, dont say anything and dont tell her off.

Im so worried that i wont be able to get her back to her good recall as she use to. as time is going by her being on the lead.

Im not sure if she is coming into season, does anyone know how long this bad behavour lasts for. please, she is now 8 months old .

i tried alternating keeping one or other on the lead, candy was brilliant, let missy off, keeping candy on the lead, missy was off across the field, i turned round saying bye, then playing loudly with candy, missy totally blanked me.

I suppose i will just have to stick with it, she just has selective hearing.

i have started to train missy as per advice from here to the whistle.in doors or in the garden only, i give one pip she comes running, plus i give her the treat on the come command not on the sit.need to make her 100 percent at home first.

ive been told that the reward has to be given in a 1 second gap, so when i call her i must give her the treat on the come and not after i have made her to sit, is this right.

thanks again

all the best

gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts