Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I might be blowing my own trumpet here, but I'm a very proud mama! Yesterday we were invited to my friend's house for Christmas dinner and they were happy for us to bring Cooper, even though they have moved into a new house, don't have dogs themselves and have very small children.

Cooper is used to coming with us to the pub or on holiday, but I have to say that I was a little worried about going to someone's house at Christmas, with the hustle and bustle and children's screams and toys. Despite all of this, he behaved impeccably! I was so proud!

I made sure he had a good walk beforehand so that he would have used up some energy. I brought 1/2 his dinner with me in a little bag and fed him piece by piece while he lay next to me as we were having dinner. I gave him a bonio while we were singing Christmas carols and he just chewed on it while the crazy humans sang and played instruments. I took him out for a quick walk around the block and also to the garden at regular intervals, so there was not accident in the house. And then when we played charades he thought the best spot to settle down was just in the middle of the sitting room with all of us around him! I had to watch him carefully around the kiddies and the food, but that was it.

We had a few funny incidents; he ran upstairs, stole a slipper from a bedroom and ran around with it in is mouth, he wacked a few baubles from the tree with a wagging tail, if the kiddies got too close they all got a big wet kiss across the face, stole a few toys (but gave them back when asked), caught his collar on the Christmas tree lights and pulled a whole length off of it (I thought he might drag the whole tree down!), and he cleaned the dining room floor after we finished eating (I checked first that there was nothing there dangerous for him).

My friend's husband had been saying they should get a dog and on seeing Cooper's behaviour she said 'well I guess we could have a dog, as long as he is like Cooper!'. Her sister in law (who is a vet) said he was the best behaved Labrador she had ever seen, let alone a 9-month puppy! For me that was the best Christmas present ever!

Anyway, sorry for rambling on and on, I knew only people on here would understand the feeling of being so proud of your dog!

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Well done Cooper - super star!

We had family Christmas dinner on Christmas eve, then joined our friends for Christmas dinner on Christmas day - double do's!

It's a dogless family - and we took Tatze.

She was brill, didn't ask for food once and also met her first ever children - aged four and seven. They were all over her and she was as gentle as a lamb.

:love4:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AAhhh that's great Boogs! I love how Tatze and Cooper are so close in age and we can follow their development!

Two of the kids were 3 and one was a crawling baby (how old???), one of them wanted to lift Cooper's tail to look at his bum 8O
And I was like 'oh he much prefers if you stroke him on his back like this...' 8O 8O 8O

One thing I forgot to say is that I am SO glad we taught him not to guard his food, because as he was chewing his bone, people were walking around, stepping over him, etc and he did not once make a sound or give a side glance. I was also able to take the bone away and move somewhere else without any fuss whatsoever.

I also brought his blanket and set it next to me, so he knew that's where he was expected to lie down and stay. I just can't believe he behaved so well for a stretch of 7 hours!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good lad! And good training too! Lil and Star had a lovely day as well. They particularly enjoyed their dinners!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts