Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We have finally managed to get Bradley to 'wee' and 'poop' on command! It's great, and so much easier if you are doing a later night toilet stop!

Very clever these labs - they pick up absolutely everything, and don't forget a thing. :wink:

We simply would say 'go wee' or 'go poo', and he finally picked it up. We started of buy saying these phrases each time he went on his own accord, he soon picked up what we meant.

Well, we have just gone for a walk in the mountains and Bradley has got himself filthy- mud galore! And my floor.......looks like a Mr Muscle job! Had better go! :eek: :)

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi Julie

Congratulations on your success with Bradley. :D

We have been trying to get Charlie to 'go' on command and sometimes he does it, sometimes he doesnt - how long did it take for you to train Bradley to go on the command??!! :shock:

Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Julie and Sarah,

It is great when they go on command! Holly has kind of got the hang on this, although she is very clever and at night especially when she knows we're about to go to bed she'll be sniffing around outside for ages and I'll be standing there in the doorway shivering going "Holly! Be a good girl! on the grass!" (sounding like a complete fool as well no doubt!) - like she knows what I mean but chooses to ignore it! We started saying "be a good girl" etc as soon as we got her, whenever we were trying to get her to go outside.

Emma and Holly
xxx

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Katetee,

Hi Sarah,

We have been trying to get Charlie to 'go' on command and sometimes he does it, sometimes he doesnt - how long did it take for you to train Bradley to go on the command??!

I have to admit it has taken us quite a while to get Bradley to go on command, i'd say probably for about 3 months. He picked up what we were saying quite quickly, but didn't necessarily go straight away, not like he does now anyway :D

It shouldn't take your Charlie too much longer to pick it up fully, as long as you give the command every time and be consistent, he'll get there in no time. :wink:

Good luck - it's great when they finally get the hang of it. :D

Julie

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's great! We started telling Max to do that the day we brought him home and it didnt take him long at all to pick it up. Now we can send him outside, tell him to go potty and he obeys.. Sure makes life easier, doesn't it?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, it does, we use "Be Clean" just cause my mum and dad did, but sometimes they look at you as if you've come from a different planet, maybe they're saying "yeah, understand that but which one do you want!".

I'm gonna go with Bradleysmom's technique and try "Be Clean, Poo" and "Be Clean, Wee" who knows I might be able to teach an old dog new tricks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
We've always used "hurry up" with Molly which seems to work,
however we recently stopped taking her on the lead, and let her go out on her own.
This introduced a realisation that she could go out and play if she sat by the door and whined. She would be doing this every 20minutes!..
so we have now reverted to taking her on the lead most of the time in a bid to break the habit..

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie realised this too. :D We let him out when he whined and he'd go to the toilet and then straight back in ... until he started to explore the garden one day and now he tries it on sometimes! Usually if he runs to the back door then it's a toilet time, but if he just sits there and whines then he's trying it on! :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm so glad that other people have the same problems!..
It sometimes feels like you'r the only one when it's your first puppy!..

You can kind of tell with Molly when she wants to go, she will actually come and get you in a Lassie type moment when she really needs to go!...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scooby used to do it whenever and where ever he pleased. We then adopted the "Go wee" and "Go Poo" commands and now he even whines to go outside to do his business.
We still have the overnight training to do even though we do take him out straight before bedtime, but he's only 13 weeks so i think this will come in time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts