Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Fudge has to table some tablets for next 2-4 weeks for spots on her chin (folliculitis IIRC)

Even if I break them into 4 she still managed to find them in her food and spit them out.

Any good tips on giving her them so she will def eat them and not notice?

Thanks

Registered
Yes... Get three decent sized pieces of ham or similar. Rip both in half. Fold up one of the halves and give it to her. Fold half the tablet into the second half and give it to her but IMMEDIATELY have the third half waving infront of her nose so she bolts the tablet bit quick and thrust the third half at her to guzzle straight away. Then repeat for the second half of the tablet. So first and last bits tablet free... Middle offering has tablet in but she is staring at the next bit so wont notice the tablet laced one. Known few see through this unless you use mean little bits 馃槂. Bigger the better.
di

?

Mash them up between two large spoons, then mix in some butter or cream cheese. Or failing that, just open her mouth and post them right down her throat (and I mean RIGHT down), then shut her mouth quickly and stroke her throat until she swallows :wink: .

Registered
If you don't have any of above foods in the fridge here are a couple more suggestions.
I keep cheap processed cheese slices in the fridge. I squeeze them around the pill. When I've been out of cheese I've even squashed a piece of bread around the pill forming a ball.

Registered
Lilly took her antibiotics which were huge by me covering them in a thing layer of soft cheese I.e. Laughing cow triangles :p

Premium Member
With one hand over the top of the dog's muzzle and your fingers in the gap between the front and back teeth the dog will open its mouth. Use your other hand to push the tablet to the back of its throat then hold its mouth shut, tip head back and stroke down its throat until it swallows.

Far less traumatic than following the dog around trying to pick up all the fragments of tablet that it spits out.

I have tried on many occasions to disguise tablets but now just go straight in and push the tablet down. Practice makes perfect and if you feel bad about it just give your dog a treat afterwards. It also deals with the nil by mouth tablet issues.

This shows how to do it (I haven't listened so I don't know what else is said)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9cxkKMaFw

Super Moderator
Diana and Tumack have described my methods! Luna used to be a right pain at taking tablets. I used to use the speed delivery method described by Di and then switched to the cheese slice moulding method tumack describes.

Luna has gotten much better with tablets as she has got older (and maybe due to the competition of having Tucker stood alongside!) now takes any tablets given. :D

Registered
I use the post down the throat method with Merlin. It's the only way I can be certain he has swallowed them. Willoughby will eat anything so thinks he's getting a treat and just swallows them down.

Registered
Squidge into Pate, Cassie never used to eat anything but that was very exciting - strong smell, easy to hide them in. Yum

Registered
I usually use vets' method ie put tablet deep down their throat, close their mouth & massage till they swallow & then give'em treats. Never failed & both of mine know what does it mean: "open your mouth" ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies,

I tried ham this morning, I thought she was going to spit it back out but she ate both halves no problem. Hopefully this will last the 2-4 weeks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts