Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

We've had a our 15 week old lab puppy for almost 6 weeks now. Since arriving he's had pretty much constant diarrhoea. After trying different wormers, putting him on Royal Canin Gastro puppy and using probiotics, with no improvement, we sent off for a faecal test which came back positive for Giardia. He's since had two treatments of Panacur, first was 3 days and with no improvement, he was then given a 7 day treatment. Disappointingly, he's still suffering with an upset stomach. We've been extremely diligent with cleaning/disinfecting to try and avoid any reinfection. He's still on the gastro puppy food, and we've now stripped out his kibble, which did seem to help - but on the mousse alone, I'm concerned he's not getting enough food.

Has anyone had any experience of puppies with Giardia? Do you think the Panacur could be working but due to the constant diarrhoea, his digestive system could be just very inflamed/sensitive? Should we keep feeding him the mousse only until he stomach gets a chance to recover? Or any suggestion on a diet that could help him out?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
20,904 Posts
So many possibilities here!

1/ Giardia is notoriously difficult to get rid of. Ideally testing another sample would answer that question.

2/ Panacur it's self can cause stomach upset. I personally never use it as a wormer, finding Drontal Plus normally kinder. But Drontal does not work anything like as well with Guardia.

3/ It's actually very normal for young pups to be a bit loose. (I've added a short article I wrote a while back about this, but remember, it was a general article, not specifically your pup.)

So there you are, the problem could still be Guardia, but could be caused by the cure! But read the article below, it could explain a few things.

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had exactly the same with my pup at that age, did the panacur treatment and still the same, what solved/allevaited the problem for us was fibre. She was on a decent food so it's not that she wasn't getting what she should. The vet prescribed pro fibre supplement, a scoop on each meal and the runny stools stopped within hours of the first scoop. It was pricey from the vet but found it on amazon for half the price and used it for a couple of months. It might not work for you but it may be worth a try for the sake of a £12 purchase from amazon as it certainly made a difference in our house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So many possibilities here!

1/ Giardia is notoriously difficult to get rid of. Ideally testing another sample would answer that question.

2/ Panacur it's self can cause stomach upset. I personally never use it as a wormer, finding Drontal Plus normally kinder. But Drontal does not work anything like as well with Guardia.

3/ It's actually very normal for young pups to be a bit loose. (I've added a short article I wrote a while back about this, but remember, it was a general article, not specifically your pup.)

So there you are, the problem could still be Guardia, but could be caused by the cure! But read the article below, it could explain a few things.

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both - that's really helpful. I think I fell into the trap of overfeeding as I was concerned about his weight. We've had a good couple of days - hopefully his retest will come back negative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We've had experience with coccidia . We picked up our Puppy from the breeder when she was 8 weeks old. When we arrived home with Poppy from the breeder we put her on the ground and she had diarrea. We picked her up a Saturday and knowing our pickup date at the breeder had made had already made a appointment for Poppy's first puppy vet checkup 2 days later. They tested her for coccidia and the test came back positive but negative for Giardia. That was a tad over 2 years ago and sorry I don't remember the treatment plan of medication she was on. The Vet put her on a prescription Royal Canin food. We did lots of reading up on coccidia and found out how hard it was to treat. The breeder to get Coccidia out of where Poppy was born and lived would have to steam the area. The parasite does not freeze and die if you live in a cold climate area which we do. Where ever Poppy would poo he would take a deep layer of the soil with it and we made a deep hole away from our yard and all her poo went in there. We have 23 acres of land and made sure the hole was in a part part of our woods Poppy would never be exposed to. It took a long time for the parasite to be completely eliminated from Poppy's system. Poppy caught coccidia from her mother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts