Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone. I live in the UK and my Lab is called Prince, he is just over 7 years old. He is finding it difficult to get up and lay down and very stiff movements for about 1 minute, after that he seems fine and I cannot keep up with him walking and he can run and chase cats etc. He has been under the vet for about 3-4 weeks with a temperature but that appears ok now, he has been on anti inflams and anti biotics. Yesterday he had 3 x fatty lumps removed (he has suffered with these for most of his life) and his body x rayed at the same time. The vet showed me the pictures last night and he said they were the best joints/hips etc he had seen in a long long time, no problems what so ever. With the bill standing at £1250 at the moment (insurance I hope) has anyone else any other ideas on the bad getting up and laying down syndrome? Thank you.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, Sounds to me prince is just a little stiff. Ben is abit stiff when he has been laying down or asleep, he has a good stretch and hes fine again. If the vet thinks he is ok then he should be alright. Plus he has just had surgery so I expect he is still recovering from that too. :D
Hope he gets better soon. :)

Cristina

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Christina, thank you for that reply. he has had the problem about 3 weeks ago before the operation. I think it is a bit more than just stiffness, he is like a cripple for 60 seconds and sometimes I even have to lift his bum up for him, although it is true that the more he walks the better he seems to be. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Without seeing it for yourself I think it is quite hard to tell, When you went to the vets last did you mention this problem? Sorry I can't be of more help :( I hope he gets better soon
:D
Cristina

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Christina,
Yes, so far all he found was a high temperature, and a blood test revealed a small infection, both of these tests have been repeated after about 3 weeks and now all appears normal. The last temperature was taken yeasterday prior to his op and his "perfect" x rays, although he is back on anti inflams and anti biotics following the op. I had my money on his "joints" but I was wrong. Any other ideas or similar symptons from anyone, on an otherwise healthy dog unable to get up or lay down properly without obvious discomfort. Thank you.

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
I would agree with Christina that it's probably just stiffness. Arthritis would normally show up on an x-ray. Were any of the fatty lumps anywhere near legs? I'm wondering if the lump it's self could have been a contributory think? Did the vet x-ray the spine? There could be a problem there. I know what I get when I first get up in the morning!!

Regards, John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear John,
Yes, spine, hips and all joints etc all OK according to x ray
One lump was on the spine area on top, and another one was in the rear of one of the back legs. Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe it has to do with the ligaments, in that case most soft tissue injuries will not show up on X-ray. My Zoe dislocated her knee a couple years ago and at one point the Vet mentioned a possible operation because the ligament was stretched. Over time she did get better, but I do notice on occasion that her leg is stiff for a brief time after she gets up.

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
This is a strong possibility Pat. One thing is certain, there must be an underlying problem somewhere. I must say I get worried by pain killing drugs. They mask the pain rather than cure the problem making it that the dog feels no restriction. Pain killers are regulay used on football players so they can continue playing. The outcome in so many cases is a crippleing injury and a later life of pain. I'm a great believer that pain a natural limiter, preventing the dog/person from over taxing an injured limb. I know that sounds hard, and for really serious injury I would help my dogs live as pain free life as possible, even with drugs, but if I could avoid them then I would for as long as possible.

Regards, John

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Fully agree with you John about painkillers. A freiend of mine hurt his back at work (he worked in a warehouse) and as he didn't get paid while being off sick for the first 3 days, took some strong painkillers and went back to work. Sadly as he couldn't feel the pain as bad, he did even more damage to the discs in his lower back, has had 3 ops and hasn't been able to work for 2 years.
Where possible I will always avoid painkillers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
Thank you all for your replies and helpful comments, I will let you know of any outcome. Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts