Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone got any ideas on getting Nettle used to the car. Jasper is ok with the car he doesn't love it but will tolerate it and can do a 3 hour journey just about. We have been taking nettle out every day or every other day for short trips in the car always to fun places, but she just shakes and pulls back on her lead at the sight of the car. We are off to Norfolk in a month for a few days which is a 3 hour drive for us. Is there anything the vet can give or does anyone have any useful tips please. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
What are you using in your car during transport?

Some dogs get very worried if they move and get thrown about a bit, and crates can be advantageous in these situations.

Also some dogs like to see where they are going other don't.

I have never had a problem with any of mine going in the car, but then living where we do we have to drive to go for a twice a day walk so it's something they have always done every day of the week.

Bean didn't like getting into the car when we first got him, but we found that food enticement worked, a little bit of bribery tends to go a long way with Labs :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I managed to get a work sheet from my Vets that proved to be invaluable when Alfie was a pup. From day one he threw up, wee'd and had awful diarrhea.

All in all this took about 2 weeks. If you fail a stage you go back to the previous one.

1. Walk your pup near the car on lead, and treat. Do this on and off until pup doesn't mind being near the car.

2. Turn on the engine and repeat stage 1.

3. Open car door, stand near car, or if you can sit in it but leave the pup outside (on lead) and treat.

4. Turn on engine and repeat stage 3.

5. You and pup get in the car (you can dust the dash, vacuum, just play, whatever...and treat.

6. Turn on engine and repeat stage 6.

7. Get in car with pup and drive back & forth in driveway or similar, treat. Only do this for a few minutes.

8. Repeat stage 8, but drive down the road, around the block....whichever, and treat.

9. Begin driving a little further each time and start increasing time in between treats.

10.Remember.....DO NOT move on a stage until pup is completely at ease with that particular stage.

This did work for us...don't rush it. Alfie absolutely loves the car and jumps in the boot.

When I did start increasing his journey length (to approx. 30 mins) I would always do a toilet stop at least 1/2 way, if not more.

Best of Luck :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
My boy had a problem with the car a while ago. We believed that he had some bad memories about the car because when we picked him up from the breeder we got him in the car and drove for 30 minutes or so and he might have felt like a big change was about to happen.

Maybe we were wrong, but anyway, he didn't like to get in the car.

We figured out this will be a problem, so we tried to use the car as often as possible. My girlfriend's office is real close so a couple of times I picked him up, put him in the car, drove for 5 minutes and right before he got a bit worried, we were there. Obviously, he was really happy to see my girlfriend and because we have a nice boy everybody stopped to pet him (it was a bad idea because he learned that he could jump on people, but still). After a couple of days, we drove to the park a number of times (he would do his business, then we picked him up, put him in the car and drove to the entrance of the park).

Another thing we did was to put treats on the backseat and that worked great because he'd start sniffing the backseat and forget that he's in the car. We used to get some toys for him, but he'd rather look around.

Also, my OH did some photography classes in the afternoon and I'd go and pick her up. It was a 30 minutes ride, through quite heavy traffic. I'd pick Dante, tell him to get in the car, then drive. The reward was the fact that my OH would get in the back and stay there for the ride home and play with him.

Gradually, we increased the time he spent in the car (5 minutes initially, then 10, then 20, then 30 minutes, then an hour). When we have to go to a place that's farther than that, we stop midway and walk Dante for 15-20 minutes. So far, the longest ride was a 4 and 1/2 hours ride and he slept most of the time.

?

·
0 Posts
How old is she and how long have you been taking her out daily for? It could just be she needs more time to get used to the idea. Don't drag her to the car, just be very Matter of Fact. Pick her up, carry her to the car, put her in, shut the door and off you go. The more you faff and fuss, the more worried she'll get. I don't even bother with treats and things like that for mine.

We have been taking nettle out every day or every other day for short trips in the car always to fun places
Ok, this "could" be where you're going wrong. Car journeys need to be boring and as everyday as breathing. If you only take them on journeys which end in excitement, then they can start ramping up the old Adrenaline before they've even got to the car because they are already anticipating FUN at the end. Do loads of really boring journeys which end up just back at home instead and only the occasional fun one. I used to take mine on the school or station run and not even get them out of the car. You want to take the anticipation out of everything you do, because anticipation usually ends up with the dog doing unwanted things and getting funny ideas. :wink:

For now, don't put her in the car with your other dog either, because if he so much as starts to "look" a bit worried, she'll pick up on this. Fear is catching!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh, and as a note on what Jules said: when we went to the park, he would get out of the car, but he'll still be on a leash, not roaming freely. Also, when my OH got in the car, she would initially get in front, talk with me a bit, then move back after a minute or so.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When Chewy was a little pup we used to put her in a basket and securely strap the basket to the passenger seat then pad her out with blankets. Then when she got bigger we progressed to the boot with no issues.

I taught her to jump in and out of my boot which Mike is massively unimpressed with - he likes to lift her in and out so he can protect his precious car from her claws!! hehe! :evil:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Good plan above.

I had a dreadful time with Roxy and she is still sick on long journeys in the car unfortunately.

I did numerous things to make her associate the car with pleasant memories from feeding in the car to putting her in a crate and covering it up so it was nice and dark (she didn't like this as it rattled). I would take her around the block lots of times a day. Roxy would defecate as well as vomit and the fear in her eyes was horrible to see. She panted and dribbled terribly. As she grew to trust me more she became less fearful. To start with I had to have buster with me because I hoped she would feed off of his confidence. I know it sounds bizarre but I have a particular CD that I play when I go training, the journey is an hour away. I still do this now I hoped she would associate the cd with going somewhere fun. I'm sick of it now :0) The only thing that has honestly helped for me is making sure she has a really squishy bed to lie on as she likes to feel secure. Slowly she has realised that the car is safe but she is still travel sick if the road has a lot of roundabouts or speed bumps. I drive a defender so my car is quite bumpy though. When I take her in the other car she isn't sick now. She is still nervous underneath though because if I put any shopping in the back with her she gets upset and has to sit on the front seat next to me. It was my fault I once brought a bag of dog food on the way home and it fell over and frightened her. Buster would have just looked at it without blinking but she is flighty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone, lots of good advice on here. I will follow the guide as set out by your vets scatty. That sounds very useful. I have picked up on a couple of other things that we will try like doing boring trips too and also not taking Jasper with us. They have seat belts in the back. Nettle is 14 weeks now. Jasper hates the boot and wont even entertain it. We have a touran and before now he has sat in the back and kids in the boot :) :) . We have a few weeks to practice this and it should be a peaceful journey. A few days away with the dogs...leaving the kids at home lol x

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze HATED the car! She screamed and cried and howled and had scared, sloppy poos.

She was a very laid back, confident pup in every other way.

We found that the cure was to put her in a really small crate in the car (an old crate we had for our Cavaliers, hardly any wider than her). She settled fine in that.

Of course now she's nearly 12 months old and she loves the car!

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts