Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lola is finally home. OH and I picked her up on Friday. So far she's doing really well on the toilet training front and even sleeping in her crate without fuss at bedtime.

Being new to this puppy stuff though, one of the things I'm finding hard is getting her to respond to her name, so that I can get her attention to come for her tea, in from garden etc.

How did you teach your pup his/her name? I've been trying to say her name, then if she looks at me, giving her a treat. So far not much progress though (I know it's only been 5 days!!) and I just wondered if there's a better way...

Here's a couple of pics of her crashed out after playing:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
I think you keep doing as you are. She'll pick her name up soon, especially if it is associated with good stuff!!!!

I love the crashed out photos! When I look back at Luna's first few days ALL the photos we had were of her asleep! It was the only time she was still enough for a photo! She was named Lunatic for good reason!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
think Alfie was home about 2 weeks when he finally answered to his name and only his name. I just said his name over and over again.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I don't think I've ever taught a dog it's name with treats as such, I just use it for everything that concerns them, using it for meal times, when I'm petting them and calling them (said in a giddy voice along with a bit of puppy puppy to start with)

Like Donna says you usually just find after a week or two they start looking when they hear their name :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Lola is scrummy :D your doing the right thing with the name thing it does take a little time, don't forget everything else is FAR more interesting at the moment for such a young pup.

Have you considered using a clicker? I wished I had started clicker training earlier with Ruby as she responds really well to it, when I get a second pup I will use the clicker from day one.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
She's a cutie. :)

7 weeks is very young - I do sometimes think we expect far too much from our pups - it sounds like you are already a lot further on than some pups who are much older - it will come with time.

I've never really thought about how and when my pups have grasped their names - with pups I've brought in I've just used it from the minute I've picked them up - with my own litters, I use the names I decide on / puppy buyers decide on from the off.

I've never really thought about it - but all 5 of them know their own names :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts