Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all!
We have decided we're getting a puppy, we're going to view a litter next weekend, that are ready to be collected at the end of October.
I've done lots of swotting up, and am happy with the breeder. One of the things I cannot find anywhere though, is when to put the collar on our pup?? Should I take one when I go to view them and ask the breeder to put it on her over the next couple of weeks, or take it when I pick her up?? They'll only be 3 weeks when we go next weekend, so I was thinking that was a bit young??
We've got a bit of a drive to get her (3 1/2 hours!) so will be making lots of stops on the way home, and I read on the missing post about the pup that ran off at Toddington Services, just made me think about a collar to have hold of while the crate's open!
Thanks everyone, and I will post pictures when we finally get her!
Em

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi Em. Don't worry about a collar till you get her home. A breeder won't put a collar on a pup in a litter as they will only drag each other about by it and ruin it alongside half strangling each other! ;-)

Best of luck

Di

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a little 8 week old pup doing a runner either when you make stops on the way home. They like to stick right by you at that age, but if she did make a break for it, you'd be able to scoop her up no bother.... it's only as they get older, faster, and braver, that they can run faster than us.

If the breeder manages to get her to pee before you set off, and then she drops off to sleep in the car, you might just about make it home in one go without needing to stop anyway.

Look forward to seeing some pics when you get her :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhhh ok, thanks for the replies :) I'll wait until we're home then.
If I can get my 4 year old and 2 year old to also go before we leave, then maybe we can do it in one run! I think the odds may be stacked against me though?! :lol:
Its so exciting! This week needs to hurry up so I can go and play! Then the following 4 weeks!
Thank you!

·
Registered
303 Posts
We put a collar on Jess as soon as we got her home at 7 weeks. Breeder did put one on her for the journey home too...something to grab hold of if she mad a dive for it in the car!

We didn't use a crate in the car for Jess and she had to travel 3 1/2 hours home...no poos or wees either...big wee n poo when we got in tho - make sure you take him/her out as soon as you get in. I just had a smelly blanket on my lap from her mum but was prepared for some mess!

The in-laws brought their pups home in a crate and they weren't very well on the way home....which is why we cuddled her home! An excuse for a really long cuddle too!!

Others may say "start as you mean to go on" though.

Good luck - it'll feel like ages....but it's worth it when you get them home!

Vix & Jess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts