Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, apart from scheduled worming, flea and vaccinations.

What everyday/weekly Maintenance do you personally carry out with your dogs?

Grooming, Check overs, Brush teeth, Ear Checking & Cleaning... Anything else? and How often?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
We clean ears and trim nails regularly, nails roughly monthly and ears probably fortnightly.

We only do these as we have one prone to bad ears and by cleaning them we keep infections at bay, when they are really manky I clean them twice a week. I can guess when they are going to be bad as it's often related to a change in weather with him. Nails are done when they look long as one of ours doesn't wear his nails very well and we're lucky enough to not have to do a lot of road walking which doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Same as Lauren, check ears, clean as necessary. The two older girls tend to need their nails trimming back slightly and are used to having this done, thankfully. General check all over, groom/stripping if necessary. I don't clean teeth, their raw diet means their gnashers are always in perfect condition anyway :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't really do any maintenance on mine on a regular basis other than brushing them once a week.

I bathe them at the beginning of summer to get rid of any dead undercoat. I do check them over everyday but its more of a stroke and tickle. I fiddle with their feet and check in between their pads and ears but its when I'm petting them so if I ever find anything wrong they don't object to me treating the area. I make sure I give them a stroke over all their body incase they have any lumps and bumps. I never clean their ears because fortunately I never have had to. I know what it smells and looks like if they ever picked up an infection or ear mites. My Sophie had problems with her ears intermittently but touch wood Buster and Roxy haven't had any problems.

I never have to cut their toenails as they get worn down naturally. I did cut them when they were puppies and occasionally I will get the clippers out and take a tiny bit off but its really only to make sure they will let me incase they ever get a split nail that is causing them a problem. Thinking about this question makes me feel a little guilty. Mine get fed and walked everyday but not any routine maintenance.

?

·
0 Posts
I tend to give them a good looking over once a week-ish. By that I mean I check ears, nails, run my hands all over them to check for lumps, bumps, thorns in the skin, etc and especially to see how much I can (or can't) feel their ribs. Then I go from there. If they need a groom, I groom them, if their nails need a trim, then I clip them, if they feel a little plump or skinny, then I adjust their rations, etc, etc. I don't have a set routine for doing anything, it's just as and when it's needed. Like Joanne above, mine eat raw bones, so their teeth are always clean and white....One less job for me :wink:

I don't clean ears out as a rule either. Mine very rarely have ear problems, so in the vein of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", I leave well alone. A bit like routinely emptying anal glands, I sometimes feel too much intervention can cause problems later on. Obviously if there is a problem, that's different and they are treated accordingly.

Other than that any problems are usually noticed just when they are around me....perhaps a limp, or excessive scratching, or them walking with an ear down, or a runny eye, or the constant click clack of their nails on the floor, etc, they are all indications of something needing attention and so I deal with these things as I notice them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cooper gets a bath when we come back from holiday and he's been outside a lot, swimming and rolling in mud. He gets brushed once or twice a week or more depending on whether I feel he needs it... I wipe eye goo every morning and after long naps :lol:
I check his ears and give them a sniff once a week, but I've not seen any reason to clean them.
He had his nails trimmed once and is due to have his dew claw done, but the other nails seem like they are wearing down fine - we do a lot of pavement pounding together!
I check his gums and teeth a lot, but that's because he has warts and also he likes to chew fabric and fluffy teddys so strings get stuck in his teeth. I brushed his teeth a few times, but now i just give him raw bones, apples, cucumbers, dental sticks, etc
I give him a good wipe with a towel whenever we come inside the house, including paws, between the toes, belly, and I'm always stroking him to check whether he is too skinny.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just seeing what Jules and Jo wrote re teeth. Ours are not fed raw, both are on dry food with a bit whatever's left thrown in and the odd chewy thing/butchers bone if we get them and I've never cleaned their teeth either! I have a look every now and then but mostly to teach them to accept us looking in their mouths but never needed to clean. Teeth are a funny one - the dogs that get the most problems are generally fed a high proportion of wet food and rarely get anything to chew on.

And how I wish regular maintenance would make my dog accept his nail trims and ear cleans however it's still a two man job and is a bit of a battle which unfortunately in his case at 2.5 I don't think will ever change. He is a big wuss though ;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I don't routinely check them. They get groomed once a week, I've never had to trim their nails, they run on the beach most days and this keeps their nails nice and short. I don't clean ears out but rinse Merlins with fresh water if he's been in the sea. I don't do anything special with their teeth. They get the odd bone and a small chew after their dinner most days, the vet commented on how clean Merlins teeth are when he had his booster this week. I'm usually quite quick at spotting any changes in them and try and sort it straight away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts