Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old lab has finally been diagnosed with bilateral elbow dysplasia after 4 years of intermittent limping. Has been on metacam for a while and takes yumove supplements. After diagnosis at Willows vet hospital Vet advised that can be managed with the right meds and discussed changing metacam for galliprant. This is a fairly new product and specifically for arthritic joints. Does anyone have any experience of this medication. I have read some glowing reports but also some concerns about the effacacy of it.

·
Administrator
21,512 Posts
No is the short answer as far as I'm concerned. But it's certainly not expensive, so it could be worth a try. At 7 years old it's likely to be required for some years so cost could be an important consideration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Galliprant is very expensive. Purchased from Vet and paid approx £150 for 2 months supply (60 30mg tabs.) I am now aware I can buy it cheaper on line but still expensive!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
My oldie has just started on this this week, she's 15 and has been doing really well on just Yumove previously. Galliprant is more expensive than Rimadyl, but having had a couple of my girls not take to it previously and knowing side effects are more common in retriever breeds, I give it a wide berth. Metacam and loxicom (same thing, different names) are in short supply at the moment as is my preferred choice of treatment, Librella, so we're giving Galliprant a go. I think it depends which vet you go to as to how much it costs, I've not actually calculated the cost per day but I'd imagine it's over £1, but then after 15 years of fantastic companionship I'm happy to pay a bit more as long as I can afford it.

As I type I can hear my lot bounding around, no doubt including my 15 year old who has been flirting with her granddaughter who has come in season. Off to calm them all down, I wish I had their energy!!

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
Just got a repeat prescription for Tau, for 30 days supply it's £60.67, so just over £2 a day. She is still doing fine, I can't say I've noticed a remarkable difference since starting on the galliprant, but then she has always been pretty fit, it's only recently she just started to struggle a bit. She's leapt over the back of the sofa twice this week as a short cut to get out for a 'busy'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts