Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After six hours of worsening pain and nausea, i ended up at the out of hours service last night climbing the walls. It turns out that what i'd been passing off as worsening bouts of indigestion is probably caused by gallstones 8O
It started in 2003 just after the birth of my son, i was told it was indigestion and sent on my way so i just accepted that was what it was, besides attacks were few and far between. In 2006 they got more frequent and in feb 2007 i went to the doctors only to be told that as i'd already been diagnosed with ibs 5 years what else did i expect of course i would get pain and to modify my diet. I left the doctors feelng like a fool and was too embarassed to go back even though i knew it was getting worse, tha takes us through to last night where its thought a stone blocked my gall bladder which literally let me in agony. after an injection of painkillers and anti-sickness stuff i went home with anti-biotics and strong painkillers. Now waiting for doctors to open as i've been told to see my gp to arrange a scan.
Has anyone had any experience of this? I cant remember a word that was said to me only what my mum has told me they said. This morning it has eased and is only mildly uncomfortable, so scared now i'll go to the doctors and they'll play it down and send me on my way again :cry:

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Tracy, my mum had this years ago and I can remember the excruciating pain that she was in, I really feel for you and hope you feel better this morning.
Hopefully your GP will be more understanding this morning -is there any chance you could see a different one to last time?
I'll be thinking of you, let us all know how you get on :D take care

?

·
0 Posts
My SIL had this on and off for several years. Her GP and one hospital doctor passing the pain off as everything from indigestion to Hiatus Hernia, to all in her head 8O, all without testing for anything but just giving her a repeat presciption for Gaviscon.

Anyway on a trip to France, all of a sudden she was struck down with such intense pain that she collasped and was rushed into hospital. They very quickly diagnosed that she had a stone (well several actually) blocking her Gall Bladder and they decided to go in via keyhole surgery. Once in there they could see that her Gall Bladder was so inflamed and infected that it was about to rupture, so they removed it completely. They told her if it had ruptured she would undoubtedly suffered from Peritonitis, which could have been fatal.

Anyway, she recovered quickly and well from the op and has had no problems ever since, in fact she hasn't been so well in years.

She is also in the process of suing the NHS because of the amount of pain she had suffered for years from their mishandling of her case and the fact that she could have died if she hadn't by chance ended up in a french hospital.

Don't let your doctor play this down.....Insist that you are scanned. Make a thorough nuisance of yourself if necessary. It's your health and life they are playing with after all.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Echo the above. And to say that a simple ultra sound scan will give the GP the proof he needs in most cases. However, you have another doctor's diagnosis in your corner, an independant person. So, he might say go away and we'll monitor it. But then your counter is, "look, I have been monitoring it for x number of years. Please refer me."

If/When he refers you the surgeon will more than likely book you in for laparoscopic cholecystectomy. You'll be home the same evening or maybe the next morning. You'll be off work for a month or so depending on how physical your job is.

Meantime try and find the food that can trigger it and stop eating it :)

Good luck at the GP.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Not had experience of this myself but insist your doctor takes notice of you, the hospital should send through details of what they`ve found and that`ll prove its not all in your head!.

Rememeber you pay the GP to look after you, I think some of them forget this :twisted:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yup - I've had it. It is similar to labour pains - excrutiating... I thought I was dying the first time it happened to me.

I had my gall bladder removed by keyhole surgery (laparoscopic cholecystectomy) and that was the end of it.

You can't go on - something will have to be done. You never know when it's going to happen to you and it will render you completely helpless. I remember writhing in the back of my car in a public car park and my daughter called a taxi to take me to the hospital. He was so scared he didn't charge us!

It is supposed to be triggered by fatty foods, so keep off anything fatty - even remotely fatty. Saying that, there was no actual pattern to mine.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your swift replies :D
Just called the doctors and i have an appointment for 10.10am today (a miracle!) I think from the receptionists reaction when i said my name the information had already come through from the out of hours dr, which is a relief!
Because I'd had a mini episode on the 31st dec (nowhere near as bad as last nights though) I was feeling a bit tender so all i had to eat yesterday was a bowl of cornflakes and a tuna jacket potato mid aternoon, i had mayo with it so maybe that set it off :?:

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Just to add to what everyone else has said, I'm sure you know to keep off the alcohol totally? If not, then please stop drinking alcohol now as that'll cause you to have 'attacks' as well.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks bob for the info sheet :D
milford - thanks for the info re:alcohol, thankfully since the birth of my kids i am a proper lightweight when it comes to alcohol and because of that i rarely bother with it so thats no hassle for me :D
I am off to my appointment now, will update when i get back.

Thanks all

Tracy x

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
i had my gallbladder removed some years ago then it was major surgery but now they do it with keyhole surgery .i know the pain is awful put your foot down hun get it from there it will be the making of you good luck sue

·
Registered
602 Posts
My husband also had this for years and it got steadily worse. He collapsed at the doctors and was rushed into hospital where he had scans to confirm it was his gallbladder. They put him on some strong drugs for gastro problems and advised he avoid anything dairy or fatty or alcohol until he had the op to remove it. The op was fine, but he still has problems and is still on the gastro drugs a few years later.

Not a pleasant experience. Hope they get it sorted for you.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I would be so cross with my doctor if I was you Tracey :evil:

I know some doctors can be more eager to brush things off, but gall bladder problems are not a nice business, I know several Christmases back our neighbour across the road had the same problem. She had been sick for several days and finally the doctor was called in and she was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. Her husband didn't think she as going to make it, but thankfully she had the operation and is perfectly fine now.

I know it can be hard sometimes to stand up to doctors, you feel like you shouldn't have to, especially when ill. But do be insistent and I would consider making a complaint, especially if, as you say, he made you feel 'silly' last time you went in.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi best to keep to a lo fat diet skimmed milk plain boring food like fish, chicken boiled rice and potatoes without spices, and def no alcohol. Gall stones can cause pancreatitis which can be serious, a simple scan will diagnose them but then you need refering to see a surgeon for removal of gall bladder which means you will have to go on waiting list for cholecystectomy, don't know how long lsts are at your local hospital. If it gets bad again i would go to A+E you may need admission and IV antibiotics to settle things down and might get scan quicker than if GP refers you. Good luck
carole xx

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I had my Gall bladder removed in '02. To be fair once the scan was done I was done and dusted within 3 months.
I think it's a fairly routine op now, I was done early morning and back in my bed by 10am. I had 4 little "dots" on my tummy where they went in and recovery was really swift.

My pain started after having my lad, I thought there was something serious going on so tried to play down the pain but it was excruciating and usually lasted most of the night. Resulting in me vomiting and rolling in pain.

The results are immediate after the op, no food is off the menu :D and you go on as normal.

All fatty foods are best to be avoided for now but also oily fish too, I had my worse attack after eating Salmon.

Good luck, hope you are sorted soon xxx

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i am back :)
Turned out to be 'my' dr that i saw (2nd miracle of the day) and he was fantastic. The notes hadn't come through frm the other dr so i explained it as best i could. He felt my abdomen which to me felt normal this moning not as distended as last night anyway, but he said it didn't feel 'normal' 8O . i have been referred for an ultrasound which will take approx 3 weeks, and in the mean time i have come away armed with extra painkillers, anti-sickness tablets (for flare ups) and he echo'd much of what was said on here. Also a note as been added to my file that if i feel i need to see a dr about it at any time they must squeeze me in on one of the dr's list immediately :)
I told him the whole sorry tale from when it started in 2005 right up until last night, and his response was that i must be feeling let down, he apologised and said the other dr had left the surgery ''under a cloud"
All in all i've come away very content, i've been listened to, action is being taken and although it's not the nicest thing to have i'm relieved in a way to find out there is something wrong and i haven't been going insane for the last 3 years (twisted logic i know :oops: )

Thanks to all who have posted, it really buoyed me up to go in there and demand a response :D

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Exellent outcome. :D :D

If you do have a serious attack again I'd go to A&E, depending on your Health Trust's procedures, the ultrasound could be done straight away.

:D

·
Registered
348 Posts
hi Tracey,,i was diagnosed with a small cluster of gall stones,, which was picked up on my scan when having my son in 1999, Nothing was done as , i was not experiencing any pain etc,,,,,In 2002 i started with mild bouts of pain etc ,, cudnt pin point it to what i ate ,, dont eat fatty foods or rich foods ,, well time went on and bouts got horrendous,, they could come on when out anywhere ,, had to leave my car etc on a day out ,, friend rang taxi ,as i was doubled over in pain,,etc , it got to where i was afraid to go any where ,, it took until feb 2005 , to get me in hospital, had key hole and took my gall bladder out ,, ,,just got 4 tiny marks ,very neat , the only down side to this was ,,when i left hospital , i was still in agony with trapped wind in both my shoulder blades,, they gave me paracetamol :roll: :roll: ,, so was bk at DR, he gave me somthing alot stronger ,, 8O ,, ,, so make sure you follow it up ,, hope you get it sorted ,, good luck :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Good to hear you`ve seen your own doc and he`s set things in motion for you, sounds like there`s already been complaints about the other doctor and he`s been moved on, shame though cos he`ll be the same in any surgery he works at I imagine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts