Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie hates being brushed, so much so he tries to get under the dining table or runs down the garden and tries to hide at the word brush or if we go to the drawer where it is kept.
I end up either getting OH to hold him and let him nibble on a chewy stick and I brush him while he quakes! or else I try to get a quick brushfull off him when he's playing or resting (or any other time I can really)

We've tried loads of different brushes but the softer ones don't get enough off. The one that works best is a pin type one from PaH but he hates it - not sure if it hurts him as he does have sensitive skin :roll: :roll:

At the moment he's having a mega moult, so much so I can hoover 4 times a day it's so bad, so wondered about the furminator as I know people love them.

What I wondered was if it 'hurt' the dogs. By that I mean does the blade actually touch his skin - not sure how it works so need help please!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
No, it doesn't touch the skin at all, not that I can see anyway. I think it would only hurt if it was used on a dog that it shouldn't really be used on... on a single coated Lab for example, as I think it would pull at it. The blade is really just a very very small comb that manages to grab the undercoat.

I've got a cheaper version of the Furminator, but exactly the same design. Corbie seems to enjoy it although he never stands still :lol:

Meant to say, it's nothing like those shedding blades - the vicious looking metal thing with teeth! - if you've used them before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hiya Wendy i am new on here but havent paid my subs yet so i will just post the once ha ha

i have the furminater for my 2 labs (one yellow one black )and at the begining of the summer my yellow lab was losing lots of hairs and like you i was hovering 3 or 4 times a day , i bought this tool and found it very good , it dosent really touch the skin as you dont have to press on it hard to remove the hairs , i wouldnt part with mine

linda

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd love to buy a furminator but they are so expensive. I think I'll have to save up a bit before I can get one.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I got mine for about a tenner from ebay and it was a real one. If in doubt Wendy then buy one that shows the furminator in its package. You should be okay though !!

Ive only recently got mine but wouldnt part wit it already !

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have ordered one of ebay

I paid £9.99 delivered for a medium one. When it arrives I will tell you how it is - though I am assured there are originals :)

PS - single coated lab... what is this? Do I have one?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I have a medium too and it's fine.

Sarah - single coated labs have no undercoat, ie if you run your hand against the direction of hair growth you don't see the grey brown undercoat. They usually shed a lot less too.

Wendy - Basil used to just about tolerate being brushed but with the furminator he sees me get it out and follows me out to the lawn to lie down and be pampered :lol: I think it must be like having his back tickled or something!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Did you never see this picture Wendy?

We love the furminator in this house..... love it!

In fact, they both got done tonight! Well worth the money.

A

·
0 Posts
Feebarn said:
Did you never see this picture Wendy?

We love the furminator in this house..... love it!

In fact, they both got done tonight! Well worth the money.
My word Fee!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Surely thats not just from one dog!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
one dog, one sitting!!! ;)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Feebarn said:
one dog, one sitting!!! ;)
Poor Huds looks like he`s wondering if he should call dogline and tell them "Mummy`s taken all my hair out" :lol: :lol:

Wendy, those are pictured in a pack saying furminator so it should be legit, the seller would be in big trouble selling items that aren`t what they say they are :)

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Go for it Wendy, mine are quite happy with it. In fact happier than with a normal brush or comb. And they really work! Mine was E Bay to.

Regards, John

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I got my furminator about six weeks ago Wendy and they actually get excited when they see it :roll: :roll: :roll: The amount that comes off them is incredible :?

I am sure Charlie and Dudley will love theirs and I got mine from e-bay too, bargain :D

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Wendy - Basil used to just about tolerate being brushed but with the furminator he sees me get it out and follows me out to the lawn to lie down and be pampered I think it must be like having his back tickled or something!
Luna responded exactly the same! She went from thinking grooming was another form of play and brushes and combs were something else to chew to LOVING being groomed. I give her a quick furminate each week and have less hair to vacuum and a relaxed dog! She rolls around so that I can furminate all over. Think it must be like a massage and when it was very hot I think the relief from having dead hair removed was so immediate that it was a pleasure. Well worth the money!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts