Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for asking for yet more advice! I’ve read through the sticky’s and other threads regards biting pups.
Magnus does mouth sometimes during the day as well as chewing everything and anything which we expected.
What I didn’t anticipate is the full blown assault of me every evening, it’s like he’s out of control and being pretty viscous. I crate him for an hour or so late afternoon, but when he gets tired early evening he turns his into a monster.
I’ve tried yelping, turning away, leaving the room though he can see me through the door, trying not to shout or overreact. I’m not proud to say this evening all hell let loose, I just couldn’t calm him, by this time my husband had joined in as obviously he doesn’t like to see me getting hurt. In short the dog became every more excited and bitey before he finally crashed out.
When he gets this way is it acceptable to crate him, in a friendly and calm way, not as a punishment? It’s getting to the stage I don’t want to sit on the sofa in the evening as I know what is about to occur!! He’s not a viscous dog, he’s sweet and bitey and excitable. I just need some advice on the best way to handle this please.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Yes, I would absolutely crate him. Mine get an enforced nap every afternoon and in their crates early evening. They learn to calm down and relax.

Reactions: Swayze

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Maddie, I crated him later than usual today. We’ve been tending to play with him in the evening but tonight we made sure there were toys but we didn’t join in. There were a few launches on me but I made no reaction other than to stand and turn away. A much better evening than of late. Thank you for your advice, despite having dogs before when it comes to labs I’m a complete novice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have been having the same issues with our 14 month old Labrador for the last couple of weeks. Not settling in the evenings and jumping and biting both of us. It seems to be worse when we have been away at the weekend, and we think he might be over tired. Will give an early evening nap in his crate a go and see if it helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this - I have a post on here about our nightly alligator attacks on me I found several tactics seemed to work. Not letting B get too excited in the evening, putting him in his crate for a little respite, saying a firm NO and using the no hand signal. Playing a game of chase the balls so he learnt to play with me in ways that didn’t involve biting, walking away into another room and ignoring him. having a supply of Kongs filled with that squirty paste - expensive but we’ll worth it, and a few puppy healthy chews I put all these on a bed in our living room in the evening while we watch tv and he chews and licks away gradually falling asleep while we watch Tv. Now he can’t wait to move into the living room at night and dozes off automatically without chews kings or bones

Basil is 6 month and I’ve not been bitten or “attacked” by him for at least 2 months. I do get a bit of mouthing and gnawing on my fingers but it’s not the full blown attacks. So there is light at the end of the tunnel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this - I have a post on here about our nightly alligator attacks on me I found several tactics seemed to work. Not letting B get too excited in the evening, putting him in his crate for a little respite, saying a firm NO and using the no hand signal. Playing a game of chase the balls so he learnt to play with me in ways that didn’t involve biting, walking away into another room and ignoring him. having a supply of Kongs filled with that squirty paste - expensive but we’ll worth it, and a few puppy healthy chews I put all these on a bed in our living room in the evening while we watch tv and he chews and licks away gradually falling asleep while we watch Tv. Now he can’t wait to move into the living room at night and dozes off automatically without chews kings or bones

Basil is 6 month and I’ve not been bitten or “attacked” by him for at least 2 months. I do get a bit of mouthing and gnawing on my fingers but it’s not the full blown attacks. So there is light at the end of the tunnel
Thank you for your advice - it’s so nice to hear we aren’t alone and there is light at the end of the tunnel!
We find games tip him into over excitement and aggravate the issue. He loves a Kong filled with frozen yoghurt, so will definitely try that out in the evening. I will try some find it games to tire his brain and focus his energy instead.
thank you so much

1 - 6 of 6 Posts