Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for asking for yet more advice! I’ve read through the sticky’s and other threads regards biting pups.
Magnus does mouth sometimes during the day as well as chewing everything and anything which we expected.
What I didn’t anticipate is the full blown assault of me every evening, it’s like he’s out of control and being pretty viscous. I crate him for an hour or so late afternoon, but when he gets tired early evening he turns his into a monster.
I’ve tried yelping, turning away, leaving the room though he can see me through the door, trying not to shout or overreact. I’m not proud to say this evening all hell let loose, I just couldn’t calm him, by this time my husband had joined in as obviously he doesn’t like to see me getting hurt. In short the dog became every more excited and bitey before he finally crashed out.
When he gets this way is it acceptable to crate him, in a friendly and calm way, not as a punishment? It’s getting to the stage I don’t want to sit on the sofa in the evening as I know what is about to occur!! He’s not a viscous dog, he’s sweet and bitey and excitable. I just need some advice on the best way to handle this please.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yes, I would absolutely crate him. Mine get an enforced nap every afternoon and in their crates early evening. They learn to calm down and relax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Maddie, I crated him later than usual today. We’ve been tending to play with him in the evening but tonight we made sure there were toys but we didn’t join in. There were a few launches on me but I made no reaction other than to stand and turn away. A much better evening than of late. Thank you for your advice, despite having dogs before when it comes to labs I’m a complete novice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts