Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am a proud owner myself of 2 lovely labs.. But the problem Isnt with mine, its my friend who is looking for advise.

She bought a gorgeous black lab pup 9 weeks old 5 days ago, 1st night no sleep , Not the 2nd or 3rd howling and barking for attention (as they do) and she ignored him on all of these nights feeling totally shattered next day, Problem is on 4th night, At 1am, her neighbour has banged the door saying to keep him quiet as her children are being woken, So she put him in living room on floor with her lastnight but she clearly cannot allow the dog to rely on sleeping with her, has anyone got any advise on how to try and settle him at night, would it b a good idea if in the day she leave him in the kitchen where he is intended to sleep and let him cry rather than at night to get him used to it .... Or any other advise... Thankfully both my pups never gave me a sleepless night. :)

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
will just as the mods to move this in to puppy stuff for you.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Hello there. I can only advise you with what I have done with both my puppies. I am presuming your friend has him in a crate? Well if so then I put both our puppies in their crate in my bedroom, and then over the course of a few weeks gradually moved it out to the landing then down the stairs. In the first few days home it is a bit daunting for new pup so I think the close contact with us helps settle them. It has worked for us anyway. Our 9 week old pup Elphie sleeps quite happily on the landing now and next week she will be moved downstairs. :D :D Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use an old spray container completely cleaned out and fill it with water. When puppy makes a noise rush into the room and don't turn the light on and spray puppy with water very quickly. Run into the room, spray, say no in a loud voice and leave room immediately. Wait outside room until you hear the noise again and repeat the exercise. This doesn't hurt the puppy but they don't like to be sprayed with water. Don't drench the puppy just a quick spray. The most important bit is to rush in and rush out and only say No in a deep voice. Don't say anything else. This is teaching puppy that this is bad behaviour. In the day time put puppy in a different room. If puppy is quiet go back and in praise puppy with cuddles and nice voice saying good boy or good girl. Then leave the room again and repeat the exercise. Praise if puppy is good and quiet and either ignore barking or bad behaviour or rush in and spray again. Hope this helps.

Sam

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've got Kim in the front room, I had howling first night to, I've started putting a cover just over the top to get her use to lights out means sleep and not howl. :wink: I put a cuddle toy in for her to goto sleep with a piece of vet bedding. Had alot better night with her last night.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feebarn said:
will just as the mods to move this in to puppy stuff for you.

Oooops, thank you , I didnt realise it wasnt in the appropiate place, Still getting used to whats what on here.

Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts