Labradors Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Freya was re-homed from the Defence Animal Centre at Melton Mowbray, in her previous life she was an explosives search dog. I bought her in 2013 when she was 3 & 1/2 and we headed North to Inverness, my home town.
She was an incredibly sweet natured, obedient and placid dog, exactly everything you'd expect from a well trained female fox-red Labrador. Over the course of her life with me we lived in Scotland and also 18 months in Buckinghamshire, when I moved there temporarily with work. New places, new people & surroundings did not phase her at all, she was incredibly sociable and somewhat of a crowd pleaser (ie a total tart!!!). I got her involved in the Pets as Therapy charity, she did dozens of visits to care homes & hospitals. A real water dog,she was never happier than when fishing tennis balls out of local lochs & rivers. She aged really well, I endeavoured to keep her in the right weight bracket and well exercised, at the age of 11 she developed mild kidney disease but this was nothing serious and to be expected as she aged; the vet's words, not mine.

However...............

In late Mar 2021, I was tummy rubbing her and I found a lump in her armpit (the thread Grade 3 Sarcoma refers). To spare you all the ins & outs, seven weeks later, via numerous vets visits and a session at the Oncology Dept of the Glasgow University Small Animal Hospital, she crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I described the whole evolution to a friend the other day as utterly surreal, it came from absolutely nowhere, and I think I will remain "coming to terms with it" for quite some time to come. She was 4 days shy of 11 & 1/2 when she slipped away.

Freya, sleep well my beautiful girl. You brought a smile to the face of everyone who ever met you. We'll meet again at the Bridge and I will have a pocket full of custard creams for you.

I love you, pup

Your Dad

1620911541175.png
1620911566888.png
1620911597851.png
1620911635894.png
1620911655184.png
1620911671427.png
1620911698561.png

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
118 Posts
Hi all
Freya was re-homed from the Defence Animal Centre at Melton Mowbray, in her previous life she was an explosives search dog. I bought her in 2013 when she was 3 & 1/2 and we headed North to Inverness, my home town.
She was an incredibly sweet natured, obedient and placid dog, exactly everything you'd expect from a well trained female fox-red Labrador. Over the course of her life with me we lived in Scotland and also 18 months in Buckinghamshire, when I moved there with work. New places, new people & surroundings did not phase her at all, she was incredibly sociable and somewhat of a crowd pleaser (ie a total tart!!!). I got her involved in the Pets as Therapy charity, she did dozens of visits to care homes & hospitals. A real water dog,she was never happier than when fishing tennis balls out of local lochs & rivers. She aged really well, I endeavoured to keep her in the right weight bracket and well exercised, at the age of 11 she developed mild kidney disease but this was nothing serious and to be expected as she aged; the vet's words, not mine.

However...............

In late Mar 2021, I was tummy rubbing her and I found a lump in her armpit (the thread Grade 3 Sarcoma refers). To spare you all the ins & outs, seven weeks later, via numerous vets visits and a session at the Oncology Dept of the Glasgow University Small Animal Hospital, she crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I described the whole evolution to a friend the other day as utterly surreal, it came from absolutely nowhere, and I think I will remain "coming to terms with it" for quite some time to come. She was 4 days shy of 11 & 1/2 when she slipped away.

Freya, sleep well my beautiful girl. You brought a smile to the face of everyone who ever met you. We'll meet again at the Bridge and I will have a pocket full of custard creams for you.

Love

Your Dad

View attachment 26750

View attachment 26743 View attachment 26744 View attachment 26745 View attachment 26746 View attachment 26747 View attachment 26748 View attachment 26749
Lovely photos of your girl. So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi all
She was an incredibly sweet natured, obedient and placid dog, exactly everything you'd expect from a well trained female fox-red Labrador. Over the course of her life with me we lived in Scotland and also 18 months in Buckinghamshire, when I moved there with work. New places, new people & surroundings did not phase her at all, she was incredibly sociable and somewhat of a crowd pleaser (ie a total tart!!!). I got her involved in the Pets as Therapy charity, she did dozens of visits to care homes & hospitals. A real water dog,she was never happier than when fishing tennis balls out of local lochs & rivers. She aged really well, I endeavoured to keep her in the right weight bracket and well exercised, at the age of 11 she developed mild kidney disease but this was nothing serious and to be expected as she aged; the vet's words, not mine.

However...............

Love

Your Dad

View attachment 26750

View attachment 26743 View attachment 26744 View attachment 26745 View attachment 26746 View attachment 26747 View attachment 26748 View attachment 26749
Beautiful girl, lovely words. So sorry she's gone x

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
😭😭😭 so sorry for your loss xxx

Reactions: heilanlabbie

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Beautiful beautiful girl, they always have so much love to give, no wonder it breaks our hearts when they go xx

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Lovely photos!
I feel for you as I lost my own 11 1/2 yr old at the end of March. They leave a huge hole.
Run free Freya.

Reactions: heilanlabbie

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
These are so hard for me to read... especially as tempus fugit (sp!) with my Judy... but

Thank you.

Thank you for giving a beautiful lab a beautiful life
Thanks for being the best Lab Dad (fight you for that one)
Thank you from Freya
Thank you for sharing.

Run free Freya... you beauty

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m new to the forum and read your post with a lump in my throat. We lost our chocolate girl Tia to anal gland carcinoma in February. My heart goes out to you but your little girl, Freya, was well loved and the photos show what a life she had. Run free Freya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts