Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month or so Coco has had several bouts of upset stomachs, usually on a Sunday/Monday morning. She is sometimes sick in the night or early morning and refuses her breakfast (unheard of until this started) and has a gurgly tum. She usually comes round and starts eating by lunchtime and is ok after that.

The only thing I can think of is that most of the time this has happened it is the morning after we have been to the woods.

I haven't seen any warnings about seasonal canine illness in our area and she seems to be making a full recovery each time but I'm a little reluctant to go back to the woods at the moment in case there is something there that is making her ill. She doesn't go in any real water but there is a boggy bit that she runs through one part and lots of fallen leaves.

Any ideas? I considered hungry sicks but she always has two meals each day with a small amount saved for supper too.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Willoughby had a really bad tummy upset after walking in the woods. He went into a ditch full of quite stagnant water retrieving a plastic bottle and must have swallowed some of the water. We haven't been back there since. I hadn't heard of any other dogs being poorly but with all this standing water pooling in the woods and fields it's more than likely full of nasty bugs.

?

·
0 Posts
This is the problem I had with Mojo and Pood, when I had them on a fully Raw diet. I'm sure their tums were getting a bit "overactive" and producing too much acid or something. They were fine for months, then we suddenly got the Gurglies every few days, which resulted in them eating grass and bringing up bile. I was a bit concerned that both had developed some sort of Pancreas problem and if they had continued to have a problem after changing their food, I'd have seen the vet. But changing their food to a low fat kibble for one meal has sorted this problem out entirely and we haven't had an attack of the Gurglies since.

So, I'd try changing her food, perhaps to something with less fat in, and seeing if that helps.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, sorry, I havent been back here for a few days.

I think I have tracked down the problem after it happened again on Monday morning.

Coco was bought a pack of Bakers dental sticks for Christmas and she has had the occasional one here and there, mostly at weekends. I cant remember if she had one on Saturday but she definitely had one on Sunday night. The first time I gave her one she had a sniff and played about with it, not really keen to eat it (unheard of!). She hasnt been really enthusiastic to eat them so I suspect that these are the cause of her dodgy tums. Theres only one left so I think it can go in the bin.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This weekend we got rid of the treats and went to the woods on Saturday - she was very hesitant to eat breakfast on Sunday.

On Monday morning she was a bit gurgly and was eating grass in the garden but I gave her a handful of food before she went for her walk and she was fine.

I m going to try giving her a little food each morning before her walk to see if it makes any difference. She hasnt been sick overnight for a few weeks.

If she is well all week I will probably avoid the woods this week and see what happens.

I see the apostrophe thing isnt resolved yet!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
_Jules_ said:
This is the problem I had with Mojo and Pood, when I had them on a fully Raw diet. I'm sure their tums were getting a bit "overactive" and producing too much acid or something. They were fine for months, then we suddenly got the Gurglies every few days, which resulted in them eating grass and bringing up bile. I was a bit concerned that both had developed some sort of Pancreas problem and if they had continued to have a problem after changing their food, I'd have seen the vet. But changing their food to a low fat kibble for one meal has sorted this problem out entirely and we haven't had an attack of the Gurglies since.

So, I'd try changing her food, perhaps to something with less fat in, and seeing if that helps.
I have decided to revisit this thread as we are still having problems.

We haven't been in the woods and got rid of the treats I suspected but we have still had a couple of mornings of refused breakfast and gurgly tums (no diarrhoea or sickness though). She has stripped the fur from both knees and has fishy breath (could this be anal glands?). She also brought back all her breakfast (mostly undigested) at lunchtime today for no apparent reason. Her poo is firm and usually ends with the anal gland drip.

I have started splitting her food and giving her a little at lunchtime and a portion at supper time to take her through the night which seems to have helped.

I'd like to try a grain free food but would prefer a lower protein one - they all seem to be about 24/25% and lower fat - again most seem to be 14%.

We use Burns Canine Alert chicken & brown rice now which is 18.5% protein and 7.5% oil.

I really don't know where to start, we are due back at the vets for the second half of her annual booster so will get her anal glands checked then.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i had this issue last week with jack as he was on medication but that stopped and still been sick bringing things back up whole not long after eating ...my vets told me chappie meat chappie dry for a few weeks to get his tummy settled ...bit reluctant to feed it him i must say as i asked on a thread here about foods ...but touch wood two desert spoons full of meat with dry food three times a day for 3 days adding more in slowly has done the trick ...jack has no upset tum tum no more and he goes to the toilet and we can actually pick it up TMI i know sorry but hes now on three meals a day (as we are trying to build him up ) still on chappie meat and dry and our vets did recommend it :)

hope you get sorted soon i know how fustrating it is :x

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of people recommend Chappie for an upset tum. I don't think she has an upset tum as such, I think the morning problem is possibly being over-hungry - maybe the acid puts her off eating, or perhaps it is anal gland toxins. She picks at her food and is usually back to normal at lunch time, isn't always sick and has not had diarrhoea at all.

Yesterday lunch time and this evening she regurgitated all her food (and ate it again today). I am now thinking that this could be an anal gland problem. She never scoots but she often whips round to nibble at her tail area. I will book her in for her other vaccination on Monday or Tuesday and get her bum squeezed while we are there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts