Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all

Merry Christmas

Has anyone had experience with Royal canin Labrador puupy dry food?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
We gave that for a while but Judy didn't get on with it too well so we flipped onto BETA and she's ben on it ever since
We also try and do a bit of raw diet as well.... namely marowbones from our local butcher

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Good evening all

Merry Christmas

Has anyone had experience with Royal canin Labrador puupy dry food?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Mark
I wouldn't feed this to my pup, it's not only incredibly expensive, but poor quality, and the anti oxidant they use is a known carcinogen. There are much better foods out there for less money, Simpsons Premium, Skylos, even Skinners. Also worth noting I've read a few articles recently that are looking at the rise of cardiomyopathy and a possible link with completely grain free diets. I raw feed, but my dogs get left overs as well, which aren't always grain free, and whilst I wouldn't want their diet to contain a lot of fillers in the way of grains or other carbohydrates, a bit of grain isn't going to hurt them, and may, in light of recent research, actually be good for them.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fdas-grain-free-diet-alert/

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I wouldn't feed this to my pup, it's not only incredibly expensive, but poor quality, and the anti oxidant they use is a known carcinogen. There are much better foods out there for less money, Simpsons Premium, Skylos, even Skinners. Also worth noting I've read a few articles recently that are looking at the rise of cardiomyopathy and a possible link with completely grain free diets. I raw feed, but my dogs get left overs as well, which aren't always grain free, and whilst I wouldn't want their diet to contain a lot of fillers in the way of grains or other carbohydrates, a bit of grain isn't going to hurt them, and may, in light of recent research, actually be good for them.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-fdas-grain-free-diet-alert/
I had a nosey at skylos a while back, it is basically ‘Country Kibble’ with a higher price tag. Exactly the same ingredients/composition but in a different bag. Very cheeky considering they state it’s ‘their food’ 😂 guy was pretty cheeky when I was asking him for advice and slating the food I was using at the time (Millies Wolfheart)

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I had a nosey at skylos a while back, it is basically ‘Country Kibble’ with a higher price tag. Exactly the same ingredients/composition but in a different bag. Very cheeky considering they state it’s ‘their food’ 😂 guy was pretty cheeky when I was asking him for advice and slating the food I was using at the time (Millies Wolfheart)
You will find a lot of the new products are pretty much the same, they go into one of two very large manufacturers, choose their ingredients, then label it up as their brand, so it's not surprising that a lot of them choose similar ingredients. There are very few manufacturers that actually make their own food, and even premium foods have different ingredients to make them affordable to be stocked in different places.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You will find a lot of the new products are pretty much the same, they go into one of two very large manufacturers, choose their ingredients, then label it up as their brand, so it's not surprising that a lot of them choose similar ingredients. There are very few manufacturers that actually make their own food, and even premium foods have different ingredients to make them affordable to be stocked in different places.
I have seen many that do that, just think it’s pretty poor that they sell it as their own when it’s clearly easy to see that its not.
I know of at least 3 that are all identical foods but with different names/prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts