Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm after some advice and am in a slightly anxious state as I've just got home to find Lexie, my yellow lab, in the dining room where her food (dry) was being kept, which she has obviously eaten judging by the size of her! She is a very lean lab who currently looks like a barrel on legs and her stomach feels quite hard, she is obviously in discomfort as she is very fidgety and I wondered if there is anything I can do or need to do to help her. I've stopped her drinking incase the food swells up even more inside, is this the right thing to do? When it happened to my friend, her lab had to go to the vets for an injection, should I be ringing them? She hasn't gotten any bigger since I've been back and isn't crying but is sighing and 'grunting'!
Any advice gratefully received and I will be buying my mum a plastic container to keep the food in like I have at home!!
Thanks,
Claire.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
If she was mine, I'd phone the vet now and let them know what's happened - and how much food she has had (I'm reading from your post that she's has quite a lot, not just a few meals' worth?) :flower:

Let us know how she is?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
you need to get veterinary advice.

If her stomach feels as tight as a drum then this is indicative of gastric torsion/dilation. Potentially very serious. Which requires immediate attention. (either gastric lavage - tube down the throat and liquid poured in OR an operation to physically remove the food from the stomach)

Im unsure if you are able to get your dog to the vets on your own? do you have means of getting help getting the dog to the vet?

At this point time is very important, I would attempt to make her sick by getting her to drink salt water, this will at least relieve some of the food in her tummy (regarding reducing the quantity) BUT she is very likely to still need to be seen despite this.

PLEASE though - phone the vet for advice ASAP.

HANDLE your dog with care, do not bunch her stomach when she gets in the car.

good luck and please update us.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
by stopping the fluids will only deprive the dogs body of water and she will become dehydrated. As the bodies way of dealing with this is to "TAKE" (steal) fluid from the body - ie normal circulation. So she will still continue to swell regardless of stopping her fluids (though removing it slows it down slightly - not alot).

please seek a vets advice and be prepared to get her to the vets.

hope she is ok.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
This happened to one of mine two months ago when I was staying at my mother's. I have to say I had the doggie admitted into hospital for the night as I was terrified of her getting a torsion of her stomach. It can kill.

Please get immediate vet advice.

PS. whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I rang the vet and she told me to monitor her for about an hour, if she gets worse (bigger or more uncomfortable), I'll have to take her in for an injection to make her sick. I'm now over the initial panic and shock (amazing how quickly it sets in!!!) and now in a much calmer and rational state(!) have looked at the bag of food and she hasn't eaten as much as I thought she had, although enough to give her a full and aching stomach, like me after a big chinese! I think she is feeling a bit more comfortable too as she has settled down and is asleep now! Anyway, I'll keep a very close eye on her over the next few hours and will ring the vet and take her in if I'm in any doubt!
Thanks so much,
Claire (in Ipswich)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This has happened a couple of times in this house! In fact I have only realised by the very swollen tummies that it has happened. But we have never had to have vet treatment. But when it comes out it tends to be on the runnier side and has been in the middle of the night!

Hope Lexie is OK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I think I know what you mean, shes just been for the first time since 'inflating' and its safe to say that I didn't pick it up so much as scrape it up!!! Think this is a sign of things to come, will be sleeping with ears and eyes open tonight! She is still very round but def hasn't got worse so didn't call out vet, will see how she is over night and in the morning; I expect we'll both be exhausted!!!
Night,
Claire :D

I

·
0 Posts
Oh my... hope you both sleep okay tonight and that Lexie's tum feels better soon. x

A

·
0 Posts
Hope Lexie is ok this morning! Also hope you've not had too many poos to clear up during the night!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Hope she's recovering ok and you've managed to get some sleep.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
how is she now?

hope she is ok.

I expect you are shattered from worry - take care of yourself too.

Regards
Heidi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your kind words, she is absolutely fine now!! She had me up a few times sunday night but it was the next morning when she really went to town with the megapoos and farting!! Maddie, my choc, walked out from the noise and smell!!! Very funny!
Typical lab, she was well up for food the next day, she has so not learnt her leson but we have!!
Ta!
Claire

·
Registered
24 Posts
My lab done exactly the same as yours and when i consulted the vet much later in the day they said if she had only just done it, they,d of induced vomiting but because it had started to digest they wouldnt be able too, just dont take her/him out for a w alk today and let him/ her take it easy or could get twisted stomach

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
thanks for letting us know she is ok - I was wondering how you were getting on! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts