Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I really need some help... please!!!

I have a beautiful chocolate lab called Harry. He is 2 years and 4 months.

Up until his 2nd birthday he was a normal healthy, very strong dog. Then he developed a nasty stomach upset (D & V). After 3 long days and nights the vet admitted him for 3 days as he was very dehydrated etc. Luckily, he got through it and came home. Unfortunately, this happened again 3 weeks ago. Once again he had to be admitted. This then happened again 4 days ago.
The vets have finally agreed to tests. He stayed in for a day and they took blood, urine etc.... awaiting results.....
All points, apparently, lead to food intolerance. Has anyone out there got or had this problem?
He's on 5 small meals a day at the momnet and eating Eukanuba Intestinal which has to be prescribed by the vet.
I'm worried so much about him!!!:(

Thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Chocoliza,

Welcome to labradorforums.

Sorry to hear of the problems poor Harry has been having, and whilst i'm afraid i can't offer any advice regarding food intolerance, i hope the test results will give you a clearer indication as to what the problem is, and how you can overcome it.

I'm sure someone on the site will be able to offer you advice, and keep us posted on the results.

Bye for now

Julie

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Your vets FINALLY agreed to do tests. I am shocked, you pay them your money you tell them what you want. Have they done skin scapings since food allergies cannot be tested from blood and urine alone. What reasons have the vets given you for food intolerance. What food is he intolerant too? Why have they sold you a food that is extortionate in price but contains mostly bulking agents and grains, that dogs cannot digest. Strangley most vets advocate this food, why? because only they sell it, it is a money making venture. And dog owners fall into this trap because they believe that the vet knows best. He also knows how to line his own pocket.
It may be that your dog is food intolerant, but until you know which foods then maybe you should be looking along the lines of holistic feeding. No additives, preservatives, gluten, wheat, maize or beet pulp. Check the contents of your packet of Eukanuba and you will find it is full of these.
Try feeding your dog small amounts of freshly cooked chicken and lightly boiled rice. Or a little scrambled egg. Also try a small amount of tinned pilchards in brine, making sure you drain off all the brine. This should settle his stomach at least until your vet comes back with the results of the tests

1 - 3 of 3 Posts