Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just bought the new puppy home and he was super boy in the car, even though we got stuck in traffic and journey took nearly two hours! But I managed to leave behind the feeding instructions the breeder gave us! I've just given him quarter tin of meet plus a handful of mixer as I could remember reading that on the sheet. His other meals are dried food which I know I have to soak, and mixer, but I'm not sure on quantities. I will try and ring breeder but I think they were going out and currently can't get through!

Any pointers appreciated! Will send piccies if I ever become that competent. He's called Harry - at the moment.....

G

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Welcome Harry.

Do you know how much he weighs? What is he being fed?

It should have a feeding guide on the packet/tin, although that will depend on weight usually. If you google the name of the pet food, many also include a feeding guide on line.

If you are not sure of his weight but have scales at home, you could weigh yourself holding him and then weigh just yourself and subtract the difference to find out his weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As AngelaC says, weight is essential when working out what to feed the puppy.

Do you know how many feeds the pup was on at the breeders?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
To give you an ideqa, really your puppy should be on 4 meals - and around 275 - 300 gms of puppy complete food per day split over those feeds.
Soaking it at 8 weeks of age should not be necessary but putting a little boiling water in the bottom of the bowl (just to cover not to drown it), tossing the food in, and shaking it for a second, then feeding it should be plenty. Infact by 8 weeks soaked food will often not be appealling to a puppy. They seem to WANT to get their teeth around something.

Tinned meat and mixer really isn't suitable for a little puppy it has literally no nutritional content and would have to fed in vast quanities to be any good (and that would give the puppy the runs) however every breeder uses a different feeding system but really a complete, balanced puppy complete food is head and shoulders above 'a bit of this for one meal and a bit of that' for another.

Good luck
Di

1 - 4 of 4 Posts