Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for some feeding advice. Since we got our now 9 month old pup home she has been fed on various flavours of Millies Wolfheart. Initially she was your typical Labrador, standing eagerly at my side as I filled the bowl, but unfortunately that is no longer the case. We noticed her going off her first flavour around 3 months after starting her on it, having to be encouraged to go eat, only finishing half of it and that down to her being ‘bored’ of it. Having spoken direct to Millies they recommended a few types for her age/ breed, and so we have been rotating between 2/3 of them since then. Initially being on a new flavour makes her much more keen to eat, I wouldn’t say it makes her as excited at the prospect as she once was, but she will empty a bowl for say 2/3 days. But not long after that we are back to square one.

Does anybody have any suggestions with what to do next? I know Millies is meant to be great but I’m starting to think it’s just not for her? If it helps she is currently meant to be on around 225g (minimum) but once we do get her to eat she eats about 100 if we are lucky (today for example she’s ate for around a minute and from what I can see has managed about 25g (she’s now giving me a look from the sofa as if to say, why don’t you know what’s wrong - if only they could tell us!). We have always given her a ‘topper’ being the butchers wet food for puppies, of which she gets a small amount just to make it smell better and more appetising. She’s recently been to the vets for a checkup and no issues there. And for the past few couple of weeks I’ve been trying the leave it out for 15 minutes, then take it away rule, with no luck. Anything I’ve missed out, just let me know!

Michelle

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Dogs don't have as strong a sense of taste as us, it's just their sense of smell that's a lot stronger, so if she's not eating it it's most likely not the taste but just that she doesn't want to eat. Millie's is a good food from what I understand, and you'd think it should smell appetising, but if it's not doing it for her then there's no harm in trying something else. I raw feed, but when I'm not giving mine raw I tend to use Simpsons Premium and my old girl gets Forthglade (grain free) and the rest get one of the many varieties of Butchers to give them a bit of wet food in there, more for my benefit than theirs as the kibble on it's own would be fine. They do really well on that mixture and thankfully I have very few issues switching them over, I just have to avoid rice/grains too much for one of my girls who starts to get itchy if she has too much of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts