Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am looking for an adult food for our Lab Harvey. He is on James wellbeloved at the moment and it is just not agreeing with him if
you know what i mean!!!!! I need to take a watering can with us on walkies.

Could anyonbe please recommend a food that dosent go through your dog like a dose of salts? i know all dogs are different but i am really looking for a majority decision on what to feed from you guys. Options i have considered are as below.

Hills Natures Best (i know hills are frowned upon but anyone feeding this please???)

Burns (readily available. any ones opinions????)

Whites (very interseted on opinions of this food)

All other recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
I fed Hills Natures Best for a little while to Alfie and he was fine on it, think I only stopped when the prices started going up. I fed all my dogs on Burns for a while and they were all OK on it but again it started getting expensive (becasuse I got more dogs).

I now feed Gelert and find it suits all of my dogs very well indeed. It is made locally to me so not sure how easy it is to get hold of elsewhere but it is great and good value at about £23 a sack.

Skinners is another good food.

Hope to help

Vicki

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I feed my boys Skinners and would highly recommend it :D

They have the Duck & Rice - Field & Trial - 19.99 for 15kg at Countrywide :)

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I found that Burns solved that problem for us. I would also consider Skinners or Arden Grange though, as Burns has recently become more and more pricey.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
It depends on the protein levels, I think. Skinners has a Salmon and Rice flavour which I have considered in the past because I understand the protein level is 20% and not more. My dogs are not working dogs, so do not really need any higher.

I have never really looked at Whites, so cannot comment.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Mine have Naturediet, which is a moist food (60% meat) and some Arden Grange dry food (Salmon one). Nice solid poohs.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
I fed Whites to Bramble for a bit, but it did not agree with him. DEspite that I think that Whites is a very good food and reasonably priced. Jemima feeds Lucy on it and Lucy looks absolutely fabulous on it!!

As for Burns I woujld never ever again touch the stuff.

Bramble is currently on Arden Grange which I do rate highly... and you can get it at quite reasonable prices

Eve Neo and little Hopalong

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Can I be boring Auntie Di?

Yes I feed JWB, but don't think any one food is the be all and end all.

A dog pooing water, is not a dog who's food is disagreeing with it generally. It is a dog with another problem. Yes in a poor quality food it may be allergic to certain ingredients like Gluten etc etc but changing is not the answer with a dog in this sort of 'pooing' state. Believe me i've been there and done that. All you do is have a dog pooing water within a few days and a second big bag of food bought that you consider 'useless'.

Chances are you have a bug lurking in there. There is a WHOLE lot of it around. OR you have a dog who is being overfed. Now it really can vary from dog to dog what 'over feeding' is. one dogs portion is another dogs starvation... and equally another dogs 'overfeed'.

I would sincerely stay where you are right now. An upset stomach is not usually going to be improved by whacking a different food into it.

I would spend the next two days halving his portion. Not starving him out but halving him. Normal food, half portion, every meal (I don't know how old he is). Ignore the poo till the third day and then reassess. IF it is still sludge or water, yes consider changing food. IF it is improved, then add another quarter to each meal. If he goes loose again, take away a bit... do this till he settles.

Alternatively, get a poo sample to your vet. he doesn't need to visit. Just get a pot and scrape up some loose stool and get it to your vet. i would almost be sure he has a stomach infection or intestine infection of some sort. A good course of AB's will help clear it up.

Changing food is so rarely the answer. It CAN be, but most often it is not when you are already on a decent one.

Di

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
If his poos are like water - and stink - you may want to try food allergy testing.

Neo had diarrhoea for years - I stuck with the food he was on - but it transpired he had food allergies and that the food was making him ill - he is now on a prescription diet...

So if you are going to go down the poo testing route as Di suggests - which is a very good starting place, I would give some consideration to allergy testing as well... Not cheap but it has made such a difference to Neo

Eve Neo and little hopalong

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Diesel had runny poos too. We tried lots of different foods and nothing seamed to work.
We took him along to the vets along with a sample 8O And got him tested for food allergies. After going through the list of foods we had tried him on he advised us to try chappie.
We are just in the process of changing him on to nature diet.
Were just looing for a good mixer that wont upset him.

Eve is right though its not cheap. Is he loosing weight?
Theres some great advice There for you.
I hope you bet to the bottom of the problem. No pun intended :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts