Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fudge has folliculitis (spots on her chin)

She is currently on 2 weeks antibiotic and then maybe another 2 after a another visit to the vet.

If it comes back he want to run allergie tests etc which obv will involve insurance as they are £400-500 and even after one trip to the vets I am pretty close to the excess anyway.

If it does keep returning, is there any good treatment's other than antibiotics etc or advice to help prevent it?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Are you sure it's not just acne? Cooper has spots on his chin and the vet wasn't too worried about them as they weren't bothering him or causing any infection. We just need to make sure to keep the area clean and the acne should resolve by the time he reaches maturity.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiki_Dollywood said:
Are you sure it's not just acne? Cooper has spots on his chin and the vet wasn't too worried about them as they weren't bothering him or causing any infection. We just need to make sure to keep the area clean and the acne should resolve by the time he reaches maturity.
The vet seems sure, he didn't mention acne at all :-s

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
To be honest i always think of folliculitis as vet speak for acne. The odd one gets knocked and occasionally needs antibiotics but generally it all goes fine on its own in a few weeks. I would dab a bit of savlon liquid on on once a day and not take too much notice of it. I certainly would need it coming back many times over and getting nasty and infected to start paying hundreds to look into it any deeper. I would say every other dog ive ever owned of this breed has it at some point.
Di

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
All my pups have had acne to varying degrees, some on their chin, and some on their tummy. If I think it looks sore I just use savlon or sudocrem.

?

·
0 Posts
Just a thought. If you're feeding her from a plastic bowl, then changing it to a metal or ceramic one may help. Also make sure you scrub the bowls out after use, to kill off any bacteria. That and a daily application of savlon cream (or liquid) after eating, should sort this out :wink: .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
_Jules_ said:
Just a thought. If you're feeding her from a plastic bowl, then changing it to a metal or ceramic one may help. Also make sure you scrub the bowls out after use, to kill off any bacteria. That and a daily application of savlon cream (or liquid) after eating, should sort this out :wink: .
ll get some savlon this afternoon. Her bowls are have always been ceramic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts