Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience of flying with dogs? Apparently a friend of a friend brings his dog back to the US every summer for a couple of months holiday and I'm wondering what kind of experience that is for the dog? I'm not talking about lap dogs travelling in the cabin, but more the bigger dogs who have to travel in the hold. My guess is that it's not pleasant, but I don't know. Perhaps someone on here has relocated or some of the breeders have had dogs travel?

?

·
0 Posts
My guess is that it's not pleasant, but I don't know.
I think it all depends what the dog is used to. If it associates spending a good few hours in a crate with something positive or just normal, then I doubt they find flying unpleasant or stressful, any more than my dogs find being shut in the back of the car for several hours do, when we're going on a long journey.

I think very good care is taken of any animals who are aboard aircraft these days and I'm pretty sure they have to have vet checks before and after travelling, to make sure they are ok.

Hopefully Sarah (Basil) will see this thread, as she's flown her dogs all over the world, including to Australia, which is where she is with her Nellie right now. 8)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My previous three travelled from the states to South Africa and then to the Uk a few years later. Each time they were absolutely fine but I don't think it would have been particularly pleasant for them. Once they were home they seemed to forget about it quickly. I didn't like the thought of them travelling to be honest but I think the airline took very good care of them.
Each time when we had to move I would bring their crates in the house a couple of weeks before and put their beds inside them. That way they felt safe inside and it wasn't so scary for them. I remember as a teenager when we moved as a family to live in America my parents didn't introduce our dog to his crate before the day we flew and he had to be forced in, it was very upsetting for him and us. When we arrived in the states he came around on the carousel with the luggage, unthinkable now.

When I moved back to England mine had to go through quarantine, that was an awful experience but they also seemed to bounce back as soon as they came home. I wouldn't ever allow them to be kennelled after that incase they thought they were back in quarantine.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I've exported a puppy or two to the US and Canada over the years. But thats a 10 week old. They mostly sleep on the way. the hold is temperature regulated when livestock is travelling ..... but to be honest I wouldn't pick it as a regular choice for a dog.

Di

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It depends very much if the hold is kept pressurised, if so there is no real difference to humans but it gets very cold if they forget the heating which is not unheard of. Otherwise they just sleep but it is not a pleasant experience, noisy and loading etc is not very good if the dog is nervous at all. Dogs fly very happily when they are in the aircraft proper.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I was looking to emigrate to Canada a while back and looked into options for transporting Luna a lot. I found a website which chartered special planes set up to transport dogs with owners in the cabin - it was a case of posting where and when you wanted to fly and the more folk who signed up the cheaper the cost. I was seriously considering this method... there were quite a few flights London - New York from memory and then I'd've driven up to Canada from there was my 'sketchy' plan!

Staying put in the Uk now :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I never really thought of it as a regular mode of transport for large dogs, but got quite excited at the idea when I heard that man was travelling to the US regularly with his golden retriever.

It looks like Virgin Atlantic offers quite a good service, but that's to US destinations.

I don't have an immediate need to travel, but when I heard that story, I thought it would be nice to take Cooper to Canada to meet my family! 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts