Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Hoping someone can possibly help.

Last Monday our 4 year old black lab was unfortunately attacked by another (much larger) dog.

She suffered a small puncture wound to her right ear right and we noticed a prominent bump to the right side of her head. The next morning the bump had substantially gone down but her head felt spongy as if there was a build up of fluid under her skin.

I contacted the vet who asked me to email pictures which I did. They said it looks like a haematoma or seroma and prescribed an anti-biotic as a precaution.

Over a week later Stella seems 100% fine within herself, no signs of a serious head injury, eating and drinking as normal and as active as ever but her head still seems to be retaining fluid, not in one particular spot but sort of all over the crown of her head. As I said in the title it feels sort of spongy.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I am due to contact the vet tomorrow for an update.

Any advice appreciated :)

·
Administrator
20,604 Posts
A haematoma is caused by ruptured blood vessels causing a bleed, often within the layers of skin causing swelling. (My Amy had it in the ear flap.) To all intents a seroma is the same thing. The problem is, because it is under the skin, with no surface break, the blood cannot leak away as it would with a cut for example. So the blood has to gradually disperse, and this takes time. The actual swelling goes down, but as a result of the blood gradually leaking out of the swelling into the surrounding area and this is what you can feel. The blood vessel has stopped bleeding or the swelling would still be there, and in time the blood will disperse and be gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts