Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

I'm going thru a tramatic phase....My husband's job demands him to shift base to another city in India ( Delhi)....He wud be country trotting but wants me and Frodo to shift to delhi for 2-3 months....NOW starts my Trauma....

Flight time Mumbai to Delhi is 2 hours... But frodo has to be handed over 2 hours before the flight... 8O

Frodo wud have to be crated :cry: (i've never put him in a crate or ever tied him)

he wud have to be sedated :cry: & he travels Cargo...

He's 6 months old...I dun know if he can take this travel... :cry: ...

I wud be grateful to any advise here....

Humble Thanks

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Hi Vidhya,

What a dilema !

Would the sedation be enough that he wouldn't really be aware ?

Can you not drive instead.....

If you have to fly might be idea to start conditioning him to lead and crate, so that side at least he will be comfortable with.

I know not much help but see your worries.....

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Vidhya

I know the infrastructure isn't marvelous in India, but just a thought as an alternative to flying, how long would it take by train ? Is it days?(assuming dogs are allowed on trains) and could you stop off on the way?

Kev

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rhoni & kev...

You said it so right...the infrastructure in india is :oops: ... even in trains they don't let dogs travel with you...they are caged and kept with cargo :cry: ...and travel by road is more then 24 hours (not worth trying)

I'm thinking of getting a crate & hopefully succed in crate training....

Thanks

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Vidhya,

Sorry to hear this, it can be such a worry when dealing with pets & travel, it sounds like flying may be the easiet option in the long run though.

When are you planning this flight?

I'm sure with the sedation Frodo will be more relaxed with the whole thing, and maybe you might be able to stay with him up until they load him onto the plane...or at least check up on him before hand maybe.

Have you managed to get hold of a crate?

At least once he is used to that, that will be one less thing to worry about.

Wishing you the best, i'm sure it will all be ok...hope your husband gets on ok with his new location also.

All the best,

Julie

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
Hi Vidhya
My advice is to get a crate asap! Make it nice an cosy for Frodo, feed give treat and play in and in the vicinty of it. Make it a safe place to be. I'm not convinced about the merits of sedation but I've never been through it so would not know. What's the longest time you have ever left him alone? What's the longest time you will be apart on travelling day? If there's a big difference between the two I'd suggest building it up so he (or is it you really? :lol: ) does not feel such a shock when the time comes.
Realistically, I think it's always harder on us "Mums" than on the dogs. He'll be absolutely fine. The cargo people will be used to shipping animals and I'm sure will look after him well.
Just do what you can and don't worry too much or he'll sense it too (I know you will, we all do!!!)
Take care and all the best.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Vidhya

Did you manage to get Frodo a crate? How long is it now before you travel?

Are you looking forward to going :)

Kev

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firstly Thanks Julie & Nicola for you advise.....

Kev i've no place to accomodate the crate :cry: ....We wud be flying as soon as hubby finalises on accomodation i reckon mid june....Actually i'm trying hard not to think about this travel as it gets me all worked up....

Thanks....

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Thanks anna did not know that....always thought crates were like cages.... But this has an airline approved crate....

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
You could get it out when you are there and use it with frodo to help teach him that there is nothing to be scared of and crates are a good place to be. When you are not using it just fold it up and put it in a cupboard or somewhere out of the way. Mine is sat in a cupboard at the moment and it is the biggest you can get. Once they are folded they are no where near as big. HTH

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Cris and Anna.... I've asked the pet store to get some folding crates....Will go and have a look as soon as they arrive....Good luck to me and Frodo :p

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi kev...

i was at the pet shop yesterday and i wud get it this sunday... kev he refused to quote the price lolz... i'm sure a rip off :wink: ....and kev its definatly not a holiday...its out of no choice :wink: hehehehe.....

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Vidhya

He probably wants you to barter for it :lol: Well as long as you get one that's the main thing :wink:

Kev

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kev its gonna take a week...the shop said they'd call me as soon as they receive the crate.... i know u must be wondering "what 2 weeks for a crate".... But kev i live in another part of the world... actually we are very modern except when it come to pets :(

But yesterday at the pet shop i met this man who said that Delhi 9 place i'm moving 2) is much better then mumbai.....he said there were many pets shops and much more stuff to see....he called Mumbai a village when it comes to pet items... :wink: ....Now i'm looking forward to moving to delhi... :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts