Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title, my little Molly who is 14 weeks old may have flea's. Last night Id just took her outside, she'd been nuzzling around after beetles in the grass (she loves them at night time) and we came back in, she sat on my lap and I noticed a flea on my chest. Managed to squish the little blighter, looked on a tissue it was defo one.
Im just so shocked, shes so young and she's had stronghold, which is due again next week. She doesnt really scratch, just the odd go round her collar. I've now gone through and washed all our cushions and her bedding. I hoover pretty much every day too. Is it possible she could have them so young? I dont really know much about flea's, is it possible she had picked it up outside and that will be it? What do I look out for?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
any animal can pick up fleas at any age.

It is probably most likely that your pup has picked up a flea from a passing cat!

Is she up to date with her worming treatment?

The intermediate host to the flea is the tapeworm - so be sure to worm her at the same time as treating her for the fleas.

Fleas have a three week breeding cycle. During which time the egg is hatched into an adult flea, the cycle obviously then starts again.

The egg - (Pupae) can lay dormant for UP to two years. So the other option ... not one you would particularly like... but there is also a chance that you have dormant eggs in your carpet left by an animal (that was visiting? or if you are in rented accommodation...previous tenants?)

Get some treatment for the house to break the cycle. Spraying the house treatment behind your radiators and in your airing cupboard, put some in your hoover too.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If that was a dog flea then you're unlikely to have seen it on you until they'd multiplied a billion-fold. Plus, you say your pup has recently been treated with Stronghold then there's not much else you can do. Give her a groom with a metal comb and see if you get any off her.

I reckon all houses with animals should have an annual treatment with Indorex. Best stuff I have ever, ever bought :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i think you can test if the pup has fleas... wet some kitchen roll and lay under pup... then brush the puppy or rake the coat with your fingers onto the tissue... if you get little red dots appearing on the paper... its fleas.

if this ain't right, please someone say so as i've never actually done it! :?

·
Administrator
21,783 Posts
Yes, quite right Sam. A large part of Flea dirt is dried blood and it's this which you see on the paper.

As you have used Stronghold it's likely that the fleas you are seeing are a reinfestation, eggs hatching out. Applied properly it is effective for at least a month, but one problem is incorrect application. Stronghold is a "Spot-on" and MUST be applied to the skin for it to work. If it is only, or mostly on the coat it is ineffective, and this is the reason for most failures of it to work effectively.

Regards, John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts