Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hope you are all well. I'm probably overthinking this but I've recently changed Kevin from Bravecto (he absolutely point blank refuses to take it anymore, no amount of tasty but bad for you stuff can convince him & its really too expensive to waste) to try a spot on flea & tick treatment. I've read the instructions & it says it protects against fleas for 8 weeks and ticks 4, so my question is how often should I be reapplying it?!? I would have assumed that's the case but the tick being half as long has thrown me! Like I said, probably overthinking....:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Bravecto has produced quite a few reactions in dogs and is not one I personally would use. Trouble is, there is so much advertising hype gone into both wormers and flea treatments, particularly since one manufacturer had their product accepted for lungworm. Lungworm was almost unknown before that point, though those of us with our ear to the ground knew there was a hot spot down the west country. But after getting approved they set about an advertising campaign literally frightening everybody into using their product. (Ably supported by vets who had a captive market selling the product.) Now we are even getting TV adverts, which alone gives you an idea how much money there is in these products. But both flea treatments and wormers are poisons! They do their job by killing fleas and worms, and we are told we need to give these poisons at regular intervals! But particularly fleas are known to develop resistance to these products so every time this happens the manufacturers have to make stronger and stronger products. At the moment several no longer work!

For my part, I wont chuck poisons into my dogs willy nilly, and in fact have not wormed my dogs for going on 30 years. (I think Lucy was the last dog I wormed when she was a puppy, and she was born in September 1987.) I'm guessing the only time since then that I've flea treated was about 4 years ago when I found a flea on one of mine. But basically I never flea or worm unless I have reason to believe I have a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts