Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lung worm, is it a threat to a dog.Yes. The trail the slug/snail leaves behind as potentially dangerous as eating. Dog eat grass? Then you need to protect against lungworm. A long term user of advocate until I discovered Brevecto. This protects against fleas and ticks for 3 months and you can let your dog swim as often as you like. For lungworm I use Milbemax. Black Labrador puppy arriving Saturday week. To join my two springers and my terrier.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
I'm not sure where you're from, but it's not a huge problem in the UK. I haven't used prescription flea, tick or worming products on my dogs, and would certainly research them thoroughly before I used them if I felt I needed to. I use more natural products similar to the ingredients of CSJ's Billy No Mates to deter internal and external parasites, and also use neem oil products externally, which are much less loaded with chemicals that can be harmful not only to your dog (or pet) but also to our environment.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Lungworm. A strange one this. Although we knew of a small area in the west of England, that was pretty much it. Then one of the wormers got licensed for the treatment of it, went on a huge advertising campaign, and all of a sudden it was big news!

Back when I started in dogs in 1955 it was the day of the latchkey dogs, dogs let out to wander the streets, only going home to feed and sleep. Nobody ever cleared up after their dogs, so worms tended to get spread around. But these were the normal worms, occasionally round worms, but mainly tape worms. My first dog did occasionally get tape worm which we found when clearing up our lawn. When we did find any we would dose him up and that was that. No continual dosing, just when we saw a worm.

By the time of my second dog the roads had got too busy for latchkey dogs, and the footpaths were much cleaner. I dont think I ever wormed him at all. The only problem we did get was the occasional flea. At that time we had many hedgehogs in the garden. So we did keep some flea spray around. (This was before the days of the spot on treatments.) But again we only used it as required.

After him came the start of my Labradors. It must have been my second, or maybe my third who started to develop a gippy tummy, so I wormed her, just in case. That must have been around 1980, and I've not needed to worm a dog since. As to flea treatment, yes, very occasionally I've needed to, but it's got less and less, coinciding with less hedgehogs seen around here, to the extent that in the case of my last three dogs I have only needed to flea treat once.

Modern wormers and flea treatments are powerful stuff and I simply dont believe in piling chemicals on my dogs simply on the off chance. I have never routinely used them and have never, after 70 years in dogs, needed too. Yes of course the manufacturers want you to, and so do vets. It's money in the bank for them. But is it really in the best interest of your dogs? I dont think so.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
Im With John. I’ve used tick treatments monthly tablet for the first time ever simply because I’ve had dogs who have not left my garden getting ticks. Ticks carry nasty diseases where I live.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
It's horses for courses Nicola. Problems in France, and particularly southern Spain are rather different to the UK. For example Lepto. Because of what I do my dogs and I are always around rats, but have never seen a case of Lepto. I've even have to clear rat mess with my bare hands when it has blocked feeders! Not nice but has to be done. Ticks VERY rarely carry disease around here, but we just carefully remove them before they have a chance to regurgitate. But a friend living in Spain lost so many dogs from leishmania caught from sand flies that eventually she sold up and moved back home. I believe the OP is in Ireland, so really I dont know the strength of the situation there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts