Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine is looking after her sisters dog, a 7 year old Lab bitch. She is prone to fits and my friends wants to know what she should do if she starts fitting, Should she just leave her to come out of it or should she be doing something?

Lorna

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I was told when I was looking after a dog that occasionally fitted to make sure the area he was in was safe - ie he wasn't going to bang into a shelf of books that would crash down on him. To remove the other dogs from the room/area if possible so he could be calm once the fit was over. To keep people away as much as possible if we were outdoors again so that he could be calm. To sit with him and reassure him once he stopped fitting. I was told that staying calm and just treating it as a normal happening was the best thing to do. The same advice I was given when caring for epileptic children too.

I'm sure others who have experience of dogs fitting will be along to advise soon!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'd agree with Laura and just be there for the dog once it has come through its fit, and just comfort the poor mite.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds good advice, however I would be wary about being there when the dog comes out of the fit (if you don't know the dog and what it is like). Tombi has been aggressive (totally out of character as she is the soppiest thing around) after a fit if she is approached too soon. The dog probably won't recognise anyone and will be a bit confused, so your friend might want to keep her distance until the dog looks like it is back to normal (Tombi starts wagging her tail and starts acknowledging you). With her it is about 5-10 mins after the actual convulsions had stopped.

We leave Tombi alone in a room where she is safe, turn the lights down low and watch her from the doorway. After the fit, we offer her some biscuits and water and cuddles.

Is the dog on medication and does she know how to administer it if necessary? How long does the dog normally fit for? If it is longer than normal (or longer than a few mins) then I'd call a vet.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
been away on hols so didnt see this when first posted, from my experience, make sure the dog is in a safe environment, ie, cant fall down steps, stairs, or knock anything onto them, when zak is fitting we clear the decks and leave well alone, just keep a watchful eye on him, afterwards again he is best left to his own devices until he comes back to normal in his own time, we dont feel the need anymore to keep reasurring him, as in our particular case zak just doesnt take us on anyway he seems oblivious to anyone and anything around him for about half an hour after he has fitted, its when he has calmed down and stopped paceing around that he will come to us for a cuddle and just to tell us that its ok now he is back with us properly and all is well with him,

hope this helps

sheila and zak

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
When my old Lucy had this fit i all ways and i was all ways talk to her in a calm way and she would come throw and Lady she all way was in the same room when my old Lucy took the fits and she was 7 year old .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts