Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hello2: Everyone. Just got back from a so called relaxing 5 day break on our narrowboat!!! Whoever said boating holidays are relaxing want to try coming away with us as few days. Two children aged 5 & 6 and a 6 month old puppy in a 6ft 10 wide boat is quite interesting to say the least 8O. Yesterday, Dylan (bless him) decided that as we were pulling up to do a lock he was going to go with me aswell, the trouble was we weren't actually at the side!! and he jumped for the towpath, obviously he didn't make it and went straight in. Then he decided to swim after the boat that had just come out of the lock that was travelling in the opposite direction :shock: I stood there calling him till I was red in the face and to be fair I think it might have been shock as when he got to the other boat and the man to tried to pull him out and Dylan realised it wasn't us he turned round and came back. I have never felt so sick in all of my life as he is still my little man and I could have quite easily stood there and cried. Maybe I should leave him at home next time!!!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
awwwwww poor dylan bet you was scared incase he couldnt make the swim back..it was nice of the man to try pull him out for you though..lol..

maybe nexttime try keep him inside the boat..lol..or give him a life jacket..lol..i have seen them they look so cute :):):)

hope it didnt scare him to much :)

G

·
Kezza - Know how you feel and I am glad to hear Dylan is safe>

We had a lab years ago who used to come sailing with us. We used to clip a rope to his collar then clip the rope to a guide line then he couldn't fall in. In the end he became a very competant sailor! He even sailed across the English Channel with us from Guernsey to Falmouth one night - lay along side my father whilst he sat at the helm all night and never moved.

One day we went out sailing across to the island of Sark from Guernsey, and our lab was with us - when we got to Sark we were mooring in a bay and there where several other boats. Our lab was not clipped to the guide line at this point and we heard a dog bark from another boat. Before we knew it our lab jumped into the sea and was swimming across to this other boat where this other dog (also a lab) was. It turned out that the other lab was actually one of our labs sons. They both ended up in the sea and me too - we had a great time swimming around. Always found a boat hook useful for fishing dogs out of the brink though!

All in all - dogs can enjoy being on the water just as much as we do - don't leave him at home, he will soon learn what to do and what not to do

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't mind, but all day I had been sitting at the front of the Boat with him and being bank holiday there were loads of people walking with their dogs. There were also lots of ducks going past the boat and he never even batted an eyelid and then for no reason at all he just jumped for it!! At first he wouldn't jump back onto the boat i had to carry him on :roll: (Gosh he's getting heavy) But today he has been jumping on and off the boat, so I don't think it has frightened him too much, I think it was the initial shock. But I have to say wet dogs and narrowboats don't go too well, The smell is.......well :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts