Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We took Ben out today for his 10 min walk down by Newtown creek. We stopped to sit on a bench for a while and I tied Ben to the bench. Next thing we heard a splash and Ben had got loose and gone in swimming with his new lead on! 8O I was quite chuffed though as this is the first time he has ever swam, he's only ever been in up to his tummy.
He managed to get out on the beach part and we through a few sticks in for him to retrieve.I don't know labradors and water are like magnets :lol:

Cristina

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Aww bless him! I bet he loved it :)

I can't wait to see Harvey swim!

Fay

p.s. Great photo with the broom :lol:

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Cristina,best thing he can do for his ocd,swimming is a non weight bearing excercise so he can do that every day,took dylan to the hydrotherapy pool before his op to strengthen him up but he hated it,so did i the fumes were too much for us,i dont know which one of us wanted out first,dylan also jumped in that mucky pond to-day,wish we had a clean one here,my fault letting him off too early so he took the oportunity for a swim,yes i love the broom photo too,lynne + dylan.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
A word of warning. Throwing sticks can be very dangerous. So many dogs have run onto the end of a stick and their weight has rammed it through their throat! Some very serious injuries have happened! A similar accident has twice happened to my gamekeeper in the last two years when his dogs have run onto the end of sticks which have been laying in our wood. In both cases the dogs suffered severe wounds in their under belly needing quite a few stitches.

Accidents happen so easily and big bold playful dogs like Labradors at times appear to be accident prone! :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I am sure cristina along with the rest of us who excercise our dogs know the dangers of throwing sticks,benson along with my dog dylan has ocd,in fact dylan has bilateral elbow dysplasia,both dogs have been operated on within weeks of each other and neither dog are capable of chasing sticks for miles,personally i have never thrown things for any of my dogs,but everyone is different ,throwing sticks chasing birds or foxes dogs do what their instincts tell them too,just like my dylan jumping into a dirty pond to-day,branwen.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
As they say, "You can lead a horse to water!"

I am sure cristina along with the rest of us who excercise our dogs know the dangers of throwing sticks
So I have to ask the question, why do it then? There are far safer things to throw for a dog. If you had ever seen the damage done you would not treat it so lightly.

Regards, John

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure that what Lynne is trying to say is we do Know the dangers of throwing sticks :( . As it happens the sticks we through were more the size of logs and no dog would even get it down its throat. Perhaps I should have made this more clear. As Ben got to the waters edge he could not carry them as they were very heavy he sort of pushed them out on to the edge. I would NEVER throw a stick that would lodge in my dogs throat, and as it happens I have seen the damage it does.

Cristina

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Forums are read by all sorts of people. Some would NOT have seen the damage which can occur and may well not realise. I'm glad you are not one but a novice handler reading your post might not realise this and could, as a result have a very serious accident possibly resulting in the death of their much loved dog. People have a duty when posting on any forum to try to inform, and to do their best to pass on SAFE info. :(

John

G

·
Cristina - glad to hear that Ben enjoyed his swim :D. If he is anything like my lab Corrie, you won't be able to keep him out of water now!! :lol:

As for sticks, I admit I throw sticks for Corrie, big chunky ones! Infact today whilst walking along the river he found a big chunky stick about 2' long!! Yes, I threw it in the river for him a couple of times - he loves it. If I have a stick in my hand and don't throw it I get barked at, Corries way of saying hurry up and throw it! :lol: The only problem I have is that he insists on bringing them back home with him - there are a few in the boot of the car, just a shame I don't have a log fire!

Over the years I have bought Corrie alsorts of toys/balls to throw in the river/sea, even floatable ones but he isn't interested in them and they just drift down the river and are gone!

I have seen the damage throwing a stick can cause, my best friends lab got a stick stuck in his throat several years ago and it didn't even show up on an xray. (see this thread http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-844-stick.htm ) lt was only a small stick though - I never ever throw small sticks and when I get another lab I will never introduce it to sticks like I did with Corrie.

At the end of the day each to their own.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
I'm not talking about short stick which can get stuck in the throat. I'm talking about the longer stick which people throw. It lands on the ground and possibly the far end gets caught up. The dog runs onto it grabbing the nearer end and 75lbs of Labrador travelling at speed does not stop instantaneous the result is like running onto a sword straight down the throat. My keeper’s dog who ran a stick into her stomach came out of the wood dragging she intestines behind her. No x-ray needed! You might think I’m labouring the point but only because it is so important. Accidents happen all the time. Some are unavoidable, others, with a word of warning might be avoided.

John

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have to agree with John on this, I too have seen the disastrous results. I cannot understand why the need for throwing sticks, of any size. There are many ideal objects on the market produced specifically for the retrieve.
Yes, I threw it in the river for him a couple of times - he loves it. If I have a stick in my hand and don't throw it I get barked at, Corries way of saying hurry up and throw it!
Your dog has you well trained, Should it not be the other way around? :(

At the end of the day each to their own
This is true, but personally I cannot understand why people place their dog in possible danger after having the warnings pointed out

Kay & The Exelby Clan

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i agree, but after 4 posts I think we all get the message, (don't mean to be rude). Sometimes it is better not to ram your advice down peoples throats, but be a bit more sensitive after all it is our dogs and we do what we think is right.Also it tends to get peoples backs up, and you feel a bit insulted.

Ps. thanks for the advise though.

Cristina

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
You are welcome to the advice. As to ramming it down your throat, I think that is far more comfortable than a stick rammed down your dog's throat at 30 miles per hour.

John

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Any vet will tell you that accidents with sticks are common. On top of all that's been said, a lab in my road had to have an abcess in operated on last year because a splinter had embedded itself in the back of her mouth - yes she had been chewing on a stick and no, she's not allowed sticks anymore.
Surely safety must be paramount.

A word of warning. Throwing sticks can be very dangerous. So many dogs have run onto the end of a stick and their weight has rammed it through their throat! Some very serious injuries have happened! A similar accident has twice happened to my gamekeeper in the last two years when his dogs have run onto the end of sticks which have been laying in our wood. In both cases the dogs suffered severe wounds in their under belly needing quite a few stitches.

Accidents happen so easily and big bold playful dogs like Labradors at times appear to be accident prone! :)
Sorry, i can't see where this is ramming it down anyone's throat, or why it got the reply it did :?
And it is only responsible to point the dangers out. I'd assume anyone throwing sticks was not aware of the dangers, otherwise why would they throw them and put their dogs at risk. :)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Personally i feel that the advice is being rammed down peoples throat,and i for one dont like it,it takes me back to the days where the group captain barked orders at you like you were an idiot,are we to expect this everytime we open or comment on a post in the future?we are all aware what can happen to our precious labbies,accidents can happen and yes some people do daft things,but i think it is better to be sweet with your advice rather than sour someone might take more notice then instead of being offended,Branwen.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Just read my first post on this thread Branwen, which contained NOTHING offensive and your reply which was VERY offensive. Now ask yourself who is ramming what down whose throat.

As to whether you can expect this whenever you open your mouth, that would depend on whether your advice is good advice of dangerous. So the test of the reply you can expect is up to you.

John

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi All,

I thought i'd just jump in here as i feel things are getting a little out of hand...i don't want you all giving each other 'stick' (pun intended :D )

Labforums advice on this is simply don't put your labs at risk - don't throw sticks, buy an alternative safe product instead. :wink:

Thread is now locked.

Julie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.