Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripley will be 1 next week & yesterday she had a brownish discharge from her vulva, which I think is slightly enlarged. There were a few spots on the floor on & off throughout the day & in her “pants” when she came into the lounge with us last night so that she could sit with us on the sofa. I was absolutely convinced this must be it but this morning, nothing!

Is it usually stop start? A friend said her labs discharge as a brownish colour to begin with then turned to red blood. Is this usually the case? How long before it’s more of a bloody discharge?

We’ve always had made dogs in the past, she is our first bitch & I’ve read so much about first seasons but I’m still not sure!

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Yes, it sounds very much like she’s in season! From now on in you need to be extra vigilant, do not take her for walks unless it’s very short and on lead at all times, do not take her to places where other dogs might be (for her sake and for the sake of other owners with males), do not leave her in your garden unaccompanied (she is likely to try to escape and/or other males may try to get to her). Time to get the brain games out!

Every female is different, some start bloody, some become bloody, but it will go pale and almost stop after about 10-14 days (again thus varies). This is when she’s likely to be ovulating so be extra careful! It will change colour again to be bloody or darker in colour.

I’ve always had females and each has been different. Now I have 3 females and one male and he can definitely tell me when ovulation is occurring. For my entire girl that’s from day 11. Then he goes on “holiday” for up to 10 days.

I’m sure someone else will come along to elaborate further. Just be mindful that although it’s an inconvenience for you, it’s far harder for any entire males and their owners in your vicinity too.

·
Premium Member
9,010 Posts
Make a note of when you first saw spotting, that’ll be day 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies Maddie. Since I wrote the post she’s started spotting again so I’m 100% sure now! Fortunately we live in a very rural location & rarely see other dogs on our walks. We have livestock around us so I always walk her on a lead anyway & our garden isn’t 100% dog proof so she is never left out unsupervised. She will be guarded like the Crown Jewels I can assure you! 🤣

She has been a little bit sick the last couple of mornings too, just bile, not off her food or anything although I am giving that in smaller amounts spread over the morning & happy to go for her walks & play ball in the garden etc. I’ve read past posts on here & from what I’ve read some girls do get that & obviously all very different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts