Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I bit the bullet and took Freddie out with two female curlies for a spot of gundog training.

Wowsers, to say that I’m gobsmacked is an understatement. We’ve tossed a few dummies in the garden before so I knew he had a bit of an aptitude.

Trainer threw first dummy out, Freddie stayed steady, I sent him out, he actually ran, picked the dummy and delivered it to my hand. Textbook. We were all absolutely amazed.

Next dog was the instructors dog, a young curly who has been out training before and has an expert handler. Dummy thrown, curly ran straight past it, had a good old race around the field. From then on she had to watch everything else.

Next was an 8 year old rescue curly that has been kept in a cage by her breeder for the past 6 years. She’s never seen a dummy, she ran out to it but didn’t know what to do with it. We replaced the dummy with a tennis ball and she ran out, picked it up but wanted to play. It was lovely to see. She obviously has the instinct but it’s never been nurtured.

The next retrieve for Freddie and he did a runner too, typical! The long line came out from then in but, to be honest, wasn’t really needed.

We worked a couple of times with a rabbit skin dummy, out, retrieve, back to hand.

Then steadiness with dummies raining from the sky all around. Solid as a rock.

Then the trainer decided we’d go find different terrain with cover. I introduced a hunt signal with the whistle to add to the stop and recall whistle.
I don’t know exactly the correct terms but he did a split retrieve (memory?), then another where we walked along, dropped the dummy, walked further then sent him back for them.

Everyone was pretty amazed and a little bit shocked. He has a reputation for being a bit of a Jack the lad, a rogue. The icing on the cake was him hunting for dummies on his own that we’d put down and forgotten about. 🤣🤣

At the end the three dogs had a good run about, Freddie kept coming back to the humans to check in (without being recalled) and he got huge praise.

The trainer said that he had what it takes to qualify to compete in competition and he definitely has the natural aptitude. Next stop, swimming.

Buzzing! Realistically I won’t be able to continue to show him but this is something new we can do.

If/when new puppy arrives I’ll show her and she certainly should have the right genes to work.

Reactions: Casodil

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
WOO! WOO! Freddie ❤ 😀 Go Boy!!! 😎
I'm just hoping that you will have a new little sister soon ❤

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

P.S. I am watching the Tintagel Puppies xx 😏

Reactions: Maddie

·
Administrator
21,792 Posts
Work training really is great fun for both dog and human! And particularly as it entails both dog and handler working together it seems to add to the bond. Our dogs are always looking to us, because we are where it's fun is coming from.

Chloe hunting up in light cover when young.

Retrieve in wood - YouTube

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant, I enjoyed it hugely. I’m hoping to go to the official retriever club de France training but you need to have reached a minimum level before you can join.

Reactions: JohnW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts