Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not bad, clever boy! We have a crate which had been up during the day and he'd cheerfully slept in. Obviously once the door was closed at night and light turned down he was less cheerful, but only was sad for about 15 mins, and then went to sleep about 11 until about half 6. Big poo in crate, one fairly fresh and the other less so! I'd been going to get him up in the night for a trip outdoors but breeder hadn't been doing that so I didn't. Does that all sound reasonably normal? He's 8 1/2 weeks. Am trying to work out how to do photos.

Harry's current favourite games - chewing an old shoe, playing with kitchen curtains, looking at reflection in kitchen window.

Favourite non-food substance so far - leaves, cardboard and curtains.

Favourite place for wees - anywhere. Favourite place for poo - corner of kitchen. In fact anywhere except garden which he treats with sacred respect and will neither wee nor poo there. Bless.

Thank you all for the food tips yesterday.

Gwinny

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Bless him all sounds perfectly normal to me the house training will come in time and we used to tie the curtains up as they nearly came down several time :p .

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Love the name Harry :D your night sounds a bit better than mine, :D they are great tho aren't they, you can't help but love them :roll:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I would get up in the night to him, he won`t be able to hold it all night for a while yet, sounds like you only need to do it a couple of times, say abot 1.30 - 2am and again around 4.30 - 5am, this will pay off as he`ll learn more quickly not to toilet in the house.

As for during the day, you`ll probably need to stand in the cold with him for some time 8O til he goes then praise him highly, again he`ll learn that doing his stuff gets lots of fuss.

He`ll also develop a way of telling you he needs to go, your the one that needs to learn this time :lol: , they all have different ways of doing it, some will go to the door, others will pace (CJ) some cry (Cindy) :)

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Invest in a warm coat and a pair of boots, you'll need them :wink:

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
I had intended getting up in the night with Dudley but only if he cried (I need my sleep!!)

First night he went in his crate at midnight and I got up at 6.15 because he hadn't made a noise. he was fine - no wees or poos :lol: :lol:

Last night I put him to bed at midnight and didn't wake up until 7.15 when I went to the loo. Clean and dry again :lol: :lol:

They're all different and you need to do what suits you. If you don't get up to him and he wees or poos if you don't mind cleaning it up then he will eventually learn to go through the night but it may take longer.

With Charlie we didn't get up - he wasn't crated, and he used to go on paper in the night but by around 3-4 months he was clean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts