Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female recently had her first (and only) litter of puppies long story short it was not a planned litter our friends were dog sitting for us when our female went on heat and their male lab jumped at the idea 🥴
Anyway here we are 11 pups later.
I am curious as to what the process is for weaning .
I’m located in AUSTRALIA 🇦🇺 but the breeders over here aren’t helpful they think I’m trying to steal their ideas or something 😌
I’m totally not and never wanted to breed mum .

puppies are 5 weeks now and mum is starting to get over them so moving away more and more.
Do I now introduce solids or puppy formula only ?

I am super new to this like I said. I don’t want to do the wrong thing so all advice is welcomed

kindest regards
Sj

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Seriously? I cannot believe your “friends” weren’t aware that this might happen? I have entire dogs and bitches and my boy gets very persistent in the month or so leading up to season. He’s doing it now and at first signs of monkey business they are separated until he calms down. He will go on holiday shortly after she starts bleeding. They will not be left unsupervised together now unless they’re both crated or he’s on a lead.

Why didn’t you seek medical advice from a vet? If you were aware an unwanted mating had happened you could have taken steps to prevent a pregnancy.

I’m afraid I can’t help you with advice on weaning, I’ve never had a litter. I believe there is a book called The Book of the Bitch which covers this or maybe someone who has had a litter will come along to give advice. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
You should have started weaning a week ago, and with 11 pups mum would have needed help from you to top up pups from day one. Different breeders wean in different ways but what I do is wean pups onto a thick porridge made with the food I'm going to use to feed pups on, mixed with puppy replacement milk, and I gradually cut out the replacement milk over the course of a couple of weeks, so that by the time they're ready to go to new homes at 8 weeks of age they are on dry kibble only.

As Maddie has already said, unfortunately there's lots that could have been done to prevent the litter, but now they're here you will have to advise owners that there are no health tests in place on either parent, as I'm assuming you will not have done any at all? Unfortunately this means that pups could be prone to life limiting conditions which cause blindness, seizures or skin conditions, and that's without looking at the hip scores, elbow grades and some of the eye conditions checked for which breeders in the UK do prior to mating. You could do the health tests in any case for peace of mind for the puppy owners, but I'm guessing persuading the owner of the dog to also do these might not be so easy.

Is your bitch endorsed? Ie has the breeder of your bitch placed any restrictions on breeding? This may make it difficult to prevent these pups from being registered with the AU KC, and therefore unable to also place similar restrictions to prevent them being bred on from, although since this is an unplanned litter that may sound slightly ironic.

As a breeder, not only do I endorse all my pups, even those I keep back to see if they are suitable for breeding on from, but I stay in touch with puppy owners to ensure they have good advice to hand about things like accidental matings. I'm one of those people who believe there's no such thing as an accidental litter, because you can always prevent unplanned matings from coming to full term, it may sound cruel, but there are so many people simply churning pups out, and unplanned litters out there, and these are the dogs that end up being passed from pillar to post and ending up filling rescue spaces. So whilst these posts may come across as harsh, they are matter of fact and hopefully not just you but others reading will have learned that there is no reason to allow an unplanned mating to go to full term, putting a bitch through whelping should be a considered decision, every time I put a bitch through it, and I don't breed often, I know I am making a decision that is putting her life at risk, as well as the unborn pups. So I would be grateful that your bitch appears to have come through it and you haven't had the heart break of losing her and/or pups, and have her spayed. As for finding homes for pups you will have to be honest about the potential for health problems, in the UK good breeders use hip scores, elbow grading, BVA eye cert and do DNA testing for prcd-PRA, EIC, CNM, HNPK and SD2, and there is now talk about also recommending testing for MRD, although I would add the proviso there are plenty of breeders who do some, or none of these as well. Good breeders here sell pups under a contract of sale with aforementioned endorsements in place, but if the pups from this litter can't be registered with the KC and tie this in with their microchip, then you may have no way of knowing where they eventually end up if owners can't cope and sell them on. It is a frighteningly frequent occurrence that people get a puppy thinking it's a good idea, then once it's chewed stuff, pee'd and pooped everywhere they realise actually they liked their lives before they got a puppy and sell it on with any old excuse and don't tell the breeder who sold them the pup in the first place. I've seen it happen many, many times over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts