Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 15 month old chocco and she is in her first season. We noted the swelling of her vulva and bleeding began on the 16th of December. The bleeding was a light red colour for the first 12 days but for the last two days it has gone a darker red colour. My questions are:
1. How long does bleeding usually last? I know all dogs are different but we are two weeks in now.
2. Should I be worried that the colour of her bleeding has gotten darker and not the typical lighter colour that a bit of research has told me is expected?
Disclaimer: we do plan on spaying her we just wanted her to have a few seasons for all those good hormones!

Thanks for your help!
Brittany (and Mia)

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's not unusual for first seasons to have a darker discharge towards the end particularly, and there really is no 'normal' season. The text book says bitches have their first season around 9 months of age, and they bleed for between 10-13 days before the discharge turns straw coloured. I've only had a couple of bitches that seem to have read that text book, as I've got bitches who vary when they have their first season, and the timings of how long they bleed etc. Unless the discharge looks unhealthy, ie mucky or gunky, or any smell associated with an infection, then there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s great thank you Tarimoor! She’s completely well in herself.. eating, drinking, toileting etc and no funny smells. The bleeding seems to be slowing was just surprised the colour changed.
You’ve put my mind at rest.
Happy NYE when it comes!

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
That’s great thank you Tarimoor! She’s completely well in herself.. eating, drinking, toileting etc and no funny smells. The bleeding seems to be slowing was just surprised the colour changed.
You’ve put my mind at rest.
Happy NYE when it comes!
And to you, and may your 2022 be Covid free!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really good to hear the experience of others. Our girl is now coming up to eight months so aware it could be any day but equally might be a while off yet. I don't think I previously appreciated just how variable the timing of first seasons can be.

·
Administrator
21,785 Posts
I don't think I previously appreciated just how variable the timing of first seasons can be.
It was so nice with my first two Labradors who cycled every 14 months, rather less so with my last who cycled every 5.5 months! All the rest have been somewhere between those three. Look out for subtle little changes. More clingy or less clingy, starting to drink more/urinate more, less attentive, mind on other things. The signs will be there, but you wont know what these signs are going to be until they happen. (The minds of you ladies are a complete mystery to us mere men!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts