Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy started her first season 11 days ago when she turned 9 months. She has been bleeding fairly heavily I think since day 1. This is the first bitch I've had so just looking for some advice. How many more days should she be bleeding for? Also, yesterday she urinated in the house twice which she has never done since her first week with me. She is VERY swollen underneath so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it? She has also been so good since day 1 and never destroyed a thing in my house and today she shredded a whole bunch of Christmas cards which is very out of character. Is this all to do with the hormones?? She's also whining a lot (more than usual anyway, lol) I am looking forward to the end of this heat cycle and just hope this change in behaviour isn't for good!!!

Any advice would be so appreciated just now, I'm feeling so sorry for her.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Sounds very normal, my flatcoat sometimes scent marks in the house when she's in season, they urinate more frequently as it's an advertisement that they're *ready* - not just to dogs but to show their status to other bitches.

For a normal cycle they bleed until approximately day 10/11 and then the discharge can go a straw colour before it stops. Also, the blood can be quite dark brown for a first season. Once the bleeding stops, according to the text books, that's when a bitch ovulates, but some ovulate earlier, some later, some bleed for less time, longer, etc, etc. Once mine have definitely started, I keep them confined pretty much to quarters for approx 3 weeks until signs of them being receptive have definitely gone.

And yes re the destruction, some change character a bit, the worst mine do is a drama queen impersonation.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Tatze's 'lady flower' was very swollen - but not her boobs, they just grew bigger nipples.

She is just finishing her first season. She has occasionally been a bit 'antsi pantsi' due to being kept in, but we have done lots of training and garden play.

She did much better than me - I've got cabin fever!

Here is a great sticky by Diane on the whole subject :)

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-55330.html

·
Administrator
20,489 Posts
They can bleed for 10/11 days, but some (all of mine!) will bleed for the whole 21days. Often the discharge will turn more watery during the second and third week.

Yes the vulva will get very swollen. It will reduce in size when the season finishes. Mammaries do not normally swell at this stage because this is only the "Conception" stage of pregnancy. If a bitch was mated then the mammaries would start to swell nearer to the birth of the pups so as to be ready to feed the pups when born. The nipples often start to become more prominent, and along with the vulva, although the size will reduce as the season finishes, will never shrink completely back to pre season size. She is a lady now, not a little girl any longer. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tarka finished her first season last week and it was very similar to your experiences, especially the whining - that's stopped pretty much, and the pee accidents inside the house at the beginning. She bled for 21 days. She is still a bit puffy underneath with swollen nipples, but I think they are getting a bit smaller now, though I guess they will be bigger than before.

I kept her away from everything for 29 days just to be sure the season was over, though luckily she was able to go to her training throughout. It seemed like the longest month ever though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts