Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Darcy and Pepper had there first retrieves on Hare. Sadly I did not have a camera with me (as I didn't know we would have them) :roll: .

We had a smallish hare to start with which both Pepper and Darcy coped with really well, then moved on to a rather larger model 8O .

Poor Darcy (who is not the tallest bitch in the world) struggled to lift it clear of the ground, but after a few attempts got the hang of it and delivered it to hand. I would guess it weighed almost as much as she does. Pepper, of course, being Mr Tall Guy did not have the same problem.

I also posted off my first couple of entries for Field Trials today 8O .

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to try to get a run or two early in September Lorraine, as Darcy comes in season in October. Blinkin bitches!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Ettinsmoor said:
Today Darcy and Pepper had there first retrieves on Hare. Sadly I did not have a camera with me (as I didn't know we would have them) :roll: .

We had a smallish hare to start with which both Pepper and Darcy coped with really well, then moved on to a rather larger model 8O .

Poor Darcy (who is not the tallest bitch in the world) struggled to lift it clear of the ground, but after a few attempts got the hang of it and delivered it to hand. I would guess it weighed almost as much as she does. Pepper, of course, being Mr Tall Guy did not have the same problem.

I also posted off my first couple of entries for Field Trials today 8O .
Oh Jill,

No camera :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know Ian :roll: . I thought my trainer had just gone out the night before for rabbits and we have retrieved rabbits before.

The hare's were a bit of a surprise - probably because I have been wingeing on about not entering a trial when my dogs haven't retrieved them before and round here I would have thought there is quite a high likelihood of getting one!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Steve I could say that there are plenty of hares around here to be killed, and we could certainly do with a few less witches in these parts as well, but I think I am in enough trouble at the moment so I won't :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jill, could you please rename this thread “First Hare Retrieves (No Photographs)”. It’s a bit disappointing when you open it. :evil:

Pleased you were successful in preparation for the trials, :D although with Hares I would imagine that there is nothing like the real thing, with the noise they can make. :?

John

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John I will make it my mission to get some photographs just for you :wink: :D .

For me it was much more important that my dogs get some experience retrieving them :D .

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
was just thinking the same as John!

herumph! :lol: ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pictures might have been along these lines...... (only with a ginger dog, and maybe a better camera!)

That was Lola at about eleven months with her first hare.

Good luck with the trial entries.

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Matt - the larger hare was bigger than that though I am sure. At least it seemed to be when carrying it round in the game bag 8O .

And that just goes to stress that it is who you know if you want to Trial. This is the first year that I have ever had access to a hare. It really is not just training your dog you need someone who shoots to bring the booty home for you to train on.

Luckily it means that Pepper has started relatively young, but Darcy has not had the chance before, but at nearly 3 yrs old it is never too late!

·
Registered
937 Posts
It can be quite tricky with hares. They seem to be shot on so few shoots now that its not so easy to get hold of one to practice with, and yet they can be a regular retrieve at trials - certainly in the eastern counties.

In novice trials the judge will try and make sure that the hare is dead before sending the dog, to avoid the screaming upsetting the dog. However once in Open they are expected to deal with wounded ones.

It is absolutely expected that a trial dog will be experienced on all types of game. Geese can also provide a bit of a challenge if a dog hasn't picked one before, although they are less frequent on all but a very few trial grounds.

My own 'difficult to get hold of' species is at the other end of the scale; the snipe!

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still need to get Darcy on a duck( not wild duck she has had a couple of those). She had one go last year at a Field Trial Training Day and it took a while to get her interested. I am not going to worry about geese.

Unfortunately no one I have asked seems to have any tucked away in the freezer, so I have to wait until they are in season.

Edited to add I didn't actually get to keep the hares. There were quite a few others in line to use them. At least my dogs got them first before they had been pulled around.

I had to go and check on Snipe but both of them have had those. And, of course, Pepper is the all time expert on Hedgehog 8O .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts