Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a first floor lounge and are finding it very difficult to get Molly used to being up there - she is 10 weeks old. We only use it in the evenings and my OH carries her up there with her bed and some toys so she can spend the evening with us. BUT she always wees on the carpet even if she has just been in the garden. She is completely house-trained downstairs. She also has an extended mad moment (more like hour!) from the time we take her up there, even if it isn't mad moment 'time'. We have now resorted to spending our evenings in our kitchen diner with her which means we can't relax and watch the big telly! We would be grateful for any advice you can give - we really don't want to leave her downstairs on her own because she is alone for part of the day. Thank you!

G

·
I'll be guessing you have hard flooring downstairs and carpet up, yes?

You have to understand that pups are mostly hardwired to go on an absorbent suface, which is why most chose to go on grass rather than pavement/patio....so of course bearing this in mind, your pup will be less likely to go on hard flooring....but of course carpet is just as absorbent as grass, so the same rules apply....It's for peeing on in their eyes. :wink:

So yes you may have her housetrained downstairs but upstairs she knows nothing about not going on the nice soft absorbent carpet....she has to learn that one yet. And at only 10 weeks old, she is really young to grasp learning over instinct.

For now, while she is really young and has very little bladder control (they are sort of "I need to go now...oops too late" for a good few weeks yet), I would keep her downstairs....perhaps bring your TV and a comfy chair down if you need them. Then in a few weeks time, try again. Making sure she is empty before taking her up to the living room. The other thing I would suggest, is keeping her on a lead and attached to you. This way you can see exactly what she is up to, so she can't go disappearing under a table or something and peeing there out of sight, as it only takes one pee to sink right through for her to be able to sniff it out the next time she is up there.

I know it's a pain and when I had carpet in my living room, I spent the first couple of months in the kitchen and utility room with my pups. Thankfully I now have a computer out there but I never used to, so I used to catch up on my reading instead. :wink:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jules, that's exactly right - hard floor downstairs, carpet upstairs. Here's to the next few weeks in the kitchen...

G

·
Sorry to butt in here but just wanted to say I always wondered why Rueben could be in the kitchen but would then go to the hall or lounge for a wee!!

Jules you've just answered that question perfectly. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever seen Rueben wee on the concrete when we're out, only on the grass.

So thanks Jules!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
We had to put a gate up at the living room door as Alfie woul go out there too pee...lol, as the hall and my bedroom are the only places with carpet.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Hi,I was in exactly the same position as you.My cottage is 4 floors with the lounge on the third! And we have carpet too.This is what I did...my friend had a large offcut of carpet which we put temporarily in the lounge on top of our proper carpet until Lottie was properly housetrained (at about 13 weeks,but she was a very fast learner!)
We had 2 accidents as far as I remember and the carpet was soon thrown away.It looked a bit of a mess but at least my carpet wasn't ruined :)
Maybe you could consider this rather than spending your time in the kitchen (you could check out cheap offcuts in a carpet warehouse) and then you would be more comfy.
I just took Lottie into the garden very regularly...after eating,drinking,playing-all the usual triggers.
It certainly worked for us.Good luck!
Barbara

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When Alfie was a pup, he was only allowed in our sitting room when being watched like a hawk, usually in the evenings. As he didn't get in there much, he would go bananas with excitement as soon as he was allowed in. As the novelty wears off, Molly will probably calm down on getting in there, as Alfie did.

Further to Barbara's idea about the carpet offcut, we bought a bit of offcut lino when Alfie arrived and used it to save our flooring until he was house trained. This worked really well: easier to mop up than carpet, but it doesn't teach them how to behave with carpet though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Barbara - that is worth thinking about. Out of interest, how old was Lottie when she started going up and down your stairs on her own?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Hi,I really cannot remember.I was really careful about lifting her,I think until she got too heavy for me! Three flights of stairs,Lottie and a cup of coffee wasn't easy. :lol:
She follows me everywhere so once we'd got up,then I'd realise I'd forgotten something,we taught her 'stay' very quickly!!
Mind you,even now,she's only 24kg,so she's not a big girl.
Eventually she went up ok but absolutely hated going down.

Barbara

1 - 9 of 9 Posts